Want to try Linux, had a few questions.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Timmay, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Timmay

Timmay New Member

First off I was looking at the threads on here and a lot of people recommend Ubuntu for first time linux newbs. I was looking at what was offered and wondering what is the main difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu? Which would be best for me to start with?

Secondly I read a couple threads about how Ubuntu defaults to a dual boot allowing you to run both xp and linux at the same time with no adverse effects. Assuming this is true then I have no problem trying it, but I rely completely on my laptop for day to day life. I take notes in law school with, take my exams on it, pay bills/loans on it, so if there's any chance I won't be able to run XP uninterrupted with dual operating systems then I'll be very leery to try it out. Is it as stable as some people on here have claimed? :dunno:

2. wdawg

wdawg New Member

I suggest not trying it on that computer since it's your main computer. At least back that shit up beforehand just in case.

3. Timmay

Timmay New Member

Yeah, I back all my crap up at least every other day. Even so I'll be pretty pissed if I have to reload everything.

4. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Ubuntu uses gnome as its gui, kubuntu uses kde. I prefer kde personally. That's the difference. Under the hood, they're the same. I prefer to do my pre-install partitioning with Knoppix though, as it comes with qtparted ready to go. If you do it on the laptop, it should be easy enough to resize/shrink your windows partition and create some for linux. Ubuntu is nice and reliable. It's flexible and has given me probably the least grief of any distro I've tried. To rip off the Apple phrase: "it just works".