A&P Want to switch to Canon, nikon fanboy, talk me out of it

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by scirio, Jun 21, 2006.

1. scirio

scirio Active Member

Or, of you won't talk me out of it, talk me more into it. What the d70-level-equivalent in Canon's line of products, the 30D?
    And what could I sell a like new d70 body for on craigslist?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

d70 equivalent would be the rebel, do you really want to sell the d70 to get a rebel? and if you already have the lenses then why not take a d200 which is already the best camera in its class

3. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

Pretty much.

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

20D/30D

Nikon noise at ISO 800+ gives me cold sores.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

30D FTW. You won't regret it.

6. dew

dew Banned

ive got the 20D and a D70 and i like the 20d more :dunno:

7. silverceli2k

silverceli2k I

20D/30D, they are above the D70 but you wont regret it :)

8. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

30d > D70 > 350d > D50

9. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Fixed

10. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

They're not on direct competitive levels. The D70 is placed somewhere between the Rebel XT and the 20/30d in terms of performance and price.

It really depends on the types of photos you take. Canons, I find, are more suited towards action photos, due to their speed (fps, maybe autofocus except in terms of Nikon's high-end AF-S lenses, which, I have never found a Canon lens to focus as fast as), and I find Nikons are more suited to shooting people. Weddings, portraits, etc. where color ACCURACY and tones are important (I will ALWAYS stand by high-end Nikon glass being stronger in color accuracy than Canon, even L).

Sure, you see all the Canon people posting up with these nice car photos that are all saturated and contrasty, but, really, that's "art" (nothing wrong with that), but not what your eye sees.

I'd go for Nikon based on the glass alone.

For the record, my D200 > my dad's 20d, lolz

11. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Why sell your d70? Does the name brand of the camera you use matter THAT MUCH to you? Face it...when you own a DSLR as nice as a d70 or a 20d you shouldn't worry about your equipment anymore but pay more attention to technique, lighting, and taking pictures.

12. scirio

scirio Active Member

well yeah, obviously a slight upgrade would be what I want, I dont want to get a dead-on equivalent cam. Plus I'm more satisfied with the results I see with the 30D. Seems to me theres less noise at the ultra zoomed in level.

And who the fk wants a d50?

13. scirio

scirio Active Member

Thanks for the the thoughtful advise. You're assuming, however, that whoever is using the nikon is using nikkor lenses. I have one nikkor lens but my 200mm lens is some cheapo shit I got to play with. I want a canon, and if I do get one i would just stick with the good stuff.
    And i never heard about color differences, thats good to know. I always thought the canon would be able to take sharper shots, less noise. The more I think about it the mre I want a 30D. Did anybody reply yet as to how much I could get for a 1yr old like new d70?

I would need to sell the D70 to have MONEY to buy the 30D, its an upgrade, technology advances in the digicam world, you dont plan on keeping whatever you have for more than a few yrs do you. I just think I want a 30D and thats why I'm inquiring about it. It's not about brand name so much anymore. The next Nikon up is quite a price jump where as the Canon is only a few hundred more if I can sell the D70 at a moderate price.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  14. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

What advancement in technology in the 30D justifies you switching from a D70? It could have 30 more features, but if you have no use for them, why bother?

As far as Canons having more fps for sports, true, but if you knew how to time your shots, you should be fine with 5fps? People that go in machine gun mode for every shot just fill up the cards with junk shots faster.

15. sony

sony Active Member

If you were a nikon fanboy, you wouldn't be switching. :rolleyes:

16. hsubaru

hsubaru New Member

The D200 is a 5-year camera for me. Not that the technology won't be surpassed by then, but because it has the feature set now that WILL last me 5 years. The photos it takes will NOT get any worse down the line than what it does now. A D70 is easily a 5-year camera, too, unless you're an equipment collector and just can't live with yourself for not having the newest and greatest body.

Anyone who uses a camera will tell you that the lenses are FAR more important than the camera (like audiophiles will tell you that the source is far more important than those $10,000 speakers you bought).

As for the 5fps, you're right. 5fps should be more than enough for the casual shooter. BUT, if you're being paid thousands of dollars to get "the shot," you rely both on timing, and on machine gunning to get the shot before and after "the shot" which may turn out to make you more money. Plus, you can use machine gun mode as an image stabilization trick :) (eliminate camera shake from you pushing the button by having the button down already and taking the middle image as your "good" shot).

The 30d is a good camera, no doubt, but having to buy new lenses is an expensive prospect, especially since you're wanting to "just stick with the good stuff." If you want it, get it.

Also, yes, Canon is better with noise at high ISO, but somehow they made the noise on the D200 look oddly similar to film grain. So, really, I don't think it's that bad. Plus, shooting RAW helps a LOT with noise. But noise should NOT be mistaken with "sharper picture." That's all lens.

17. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Fixed again

18. sony

sony Active Member

fixed

19. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

FIXED

20. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

WOW I really like this comparison, I believe I read somewhere about the nikon color accuracy, but I never paid it much sense.

And yes LENSES > camera, look at me, I own a lowly d70 yet I have a 70-200VR, a 85 1.4, 12-24 f4, etc. Its the lenses that help me get those fantastic shots, theres no way I could take some of the shots I have with my d70 + 85 1.4 if I had a d200 + 17-85

21. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

so you're retarded? that's what you're tellin us?

22. sony

sony Active Member

What? I'm sure the threadstarter who is a nikon fanboy would agree. :)

23. sony

sony Active Member

touche :sad2:

24. joy division

joy division New Member

my olympus camedia master (thats 1.3 massive megapyxels) takes better pictures than all of your fancy dslr things.

25. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Probably 600-700 dollars tops. Most likely not even that.