Want to spend around $1000...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr. Woo, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

This is what I've come up with so far.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=5126907

I've switched from 939 to AM2 for better upgradeability down the road and to allow for 240-pin DDR2. Media Center is for the free Vista upgrade (Home won't give you a free upgrade and I don't need Pro). I plan on overclocking the CPU.

C2D is a little pricey for my tastes...but if someone here has better suggestions, then I'm open to 'em.

I may not be OG, but I know how OT works, so give it to me easy. I've never built a computer from scratch, but I have plenty of under-the-hood experience.

2. No More Drama

No More Drama New Member

ECS board ftl

3. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

So...what's wrong with ECS? Any more insight?

I suppose I could go with something else, but are you basing this on experience, general opinion, or what?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you get an Intel CPU, get an Intel or Asus board with an Intel chipset. If you get an AMD CPU, get an Asus board with a VIA chipset. Just don't bother with anything else.

Yes, you do need XP Pro. I don't know if Media Center Edition is based on Home or Pro, but if it's based on Home, buy Pro instead.

What is OG?