Want to route internet through VPN

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hypernikes, Mar 9, 2010.

1. hypernikes

hypernikes New Member

Ok. I live in Korea but Hulu doesn't allow access outside the US and some videos on youtube as well. As well as for other reasons (setting up Google Voice, etc.), I'd like the ability to route my internet through VPN through a computer I have set up at my sister's place in the states.

What steps do I need to take to accomplish this?

2. hypernikes

hypernikes New Member

I know there's pay services but don't want to pay for it. Also free services are shitty.

3. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Should be able to set up your VPN, have your sister's computer configured as a gateway, and then set the interface metric for that connection as 1 or something. I don't know if it'll work, but that's what I would try.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's all on her end - a VPN server on the router of a server is all you need. By default, the VPN connection will handle all internet traffic.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I remember reading something in OT a while back about doing something like this. You have it setup so your gateway is on a remote network. I think it uses SSH or something like that. I can't find the link though.

6. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

SSH tunneling is possible. Personally, its a PITA to keep setting up, from my experience (SSH in, make sure the tunnel is set, then set the browser to proxy via the tunnel).

Another option is to setup a router with DD-WRT or another flavor of OS and you can turn it into a VPN server. OpenVPN is some good stuff but I had very limited success getting it setup (it has a hefty learning curve to it). You don't need a router to run OpenVPN - any linux distro on a regular PC should do just fine.

I can't find the name of it right now, but there is a company that offers for free, the last time I remember, a download that lets you install a firewall/vpn/gateway server, right out of the box. My friend was reselling the software to businesses and for home use, it was free. It was pretty easy to install and get configured. That might be an option. Although I can't remember the name. If you are interested, let me know and I will bug my friend.