Want to paint front bumper and hood on my own..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Original, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Original

Original OT Supporter

Am I in over my head? Everyone seems to tell me I can't do it.

Besides the prep and primer, are there any special techniques to use as I'm spraying the basecoat? I heard only 2 basecoats, and they must be applied within a certain window of time. 4 coats for clear, same window of time between each coat + wetsand the last one off.

What's next. Buff with a wool pad?

I'm being pretty general with details here :hsd:

I have until this Spring to learn the extensiveness of this project :hs:

BTW: I have a high quality all purpose paint sprayer w/ all the accessories. Should I invest in a more expensive HVLP gun instead? :sadwavey:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can do it, but I'd suggest taking a community college/adult continuing education paint and body class. I took one years ago (many, many years ago, so no clear coat experience) and I had ample time to work on my own car.

After painting, you usually have to wetsand before you buff it out.

3. XPX

XPX New Member

Remember, as with wax and polish, multiple thin coats are much better than thick coats. You'll probably need to find an additive so the paint doesn't become too brittle, plastic bumpers always have some movement and if you use thick layers or just paint and CC it will crack in a few weeks :hs:

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

Thanks guys ;)

5. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  6. Original

Original OT Supporter

Every website I've seen recommended an HVLP gun but a lot of those I saw were over $100. :noes:

I think I have all the goods I need.. the oil & water seperator/filter and air pressure regulator :dunno:

How should I be spraying it, Internal Mix / Pressure Feed?

7. Marcus

Marcus GReddy Built OT Supporter

You can probably get away with painting the bumper on your own, but I think the hood is going to be over your head. What color is the car? Are you blending into the fenders for a good color match? Do you have the right balancer, activator, reducer? If you don't use a HVLP gun the hood will probably come out really orange peeled and/or have dry spots and you will have to colorsand and buff the shit out of it.

I don't recommend a wool pad as it might be too harsh for the fresh paint, and a foam pad will polish it out anyway.

What kind of paint are you planning on using? And where are you going to spray it?

I don't mean to scare you out of it but just be aware it's a lot to learn in a short amount of time, and mistakes will be costly (if you have to reshoot it and whatnot...).

8. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  9. Mikael

Mikael OT Supporter

Activator and reducer are the same thing, and not something he should be deciding anyways. He needs to tell the paint jobber what and where he'll be spraying, they give him what he needs.

A quart of decent bc like Nason will probably run him $20 and be enough to do the job twice.

You should not be doing any feathering or blending since you've never done it before.

Its not rocket science. Sand the pieces smooth, prime them, spray your base, spray your clear. Keep dust away from it at all times, when you're done sand it/buff it- should look good.

Read up as much as you can before going at it.

10. Original

Original OT Supporter

Both bumper and hood will be coming off the car so there will be no blending and little masking if any, plus prepping will be plenty easier.

Paint is 8 years old but absolutely no fading. Can get the exact color from paintscratch.com, plus I've seen people with the same car buy the same paint and have it turn out perfect :dunno:

The car is a rich red.

Will be looking into an HVLP gun after Christmas. Will be shooting in my garage when it gets warm again.

I guess I have a ton more to learn since I know nothing about balancers, reducers, and activators :hs:

:hsd:

11. Scottwax

Take a class at your local community college!!!!!!

12. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Autobody101.com can help you through it, but trust me on this, it will look pretty shitty if it's your first time. The learning curve on quality paint work is steep.

13. Original

Original OT Supporter

I've rattled canned a bunch of different types of plastics before and I got much better as I went on.. I wouldn't say I have a poor technique, but I'm sure there will be some trial and error near the beginning trying to prevent running, ornage peel, etc.

Thank God I'm not trying to paint the entire car :o

BTW - Is most modern automotive paint lacquer based? I've heard stuff about acrylics and enamels.. egh, so much to learn :hsd:

14. Original

Original OT Supporter

Bump.

Just had one more question on automotive paint and couldn't find a solid answer on the web.. is the base coat a lacquer typed paint? And the clear probably enamel? My spray gun isn't recommended for enamel :noes:

15. Scottwax

16. Original

Original OT Supporter

17. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Both are urethane. A 1.4 mm tip will be fine for spraying both.

Look up automotive paint suppliers in your phone book and buy your paint, tape, and masking paper from them. They'll be happy to give you plenty of advice at the cash register.