Want to limit access to certain users to shared folders over a network...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdub12, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jdub12

jdub12 New Member

First off, the computer that has the shared folder is running WinXP PRO SP2 and firewall disabled.

I want to share a folder, and allow some user read, some read write, and some full access. I turned off simple file sharing, but im having problems. First off, if i take away the everyone account under the permissions tab, nobody can get access. Even if I create another user account on the folder host computer that matches the user account on the computer that is connecting to the shared folder. I do not want to give local accounts on the computer that is hosting the shared folder. I just want to create the ability to give privalegdes to those connecting to it. Is there something that I am doing wrong? I dont want everyone to be able to connect, just those i specify and it seems that the only way I can get it working is to have the everyone group under permissions with full control. Please help! Thanks!

2. john80

john80 The only constant is change

no you can go to file sharing under properties, and select specific users to share for each folder you want individual settings on. i'm not at work otherwise i'd give you the exact directions. pm me tomorrow and i can show y ou :)