GUN Want to go to the range v.notmygun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gotcha38, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

My roommate and I have been talking about going to the range in town for a while. I don't own a gun. He does. He hasn't really made any time to take me over there in the past month or so we've been talking about it. Would there be any problems with me taking a gun that wasn't mine to the range? Or having it in the car with me on the way over? Any other concerns I should have?

We don't have a place in town that rents guns, and I've never fired one before. Don't know if I'll enjoy it or not so I'm hesitant to buy, then shoot.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't know about south carolina laws but it sounds like a pretty dumb idea for me for someone that has never fired a gun before to wander off to the range unattended to play around. Take a safety class or something where you can get some hands on instruction and correction to be sure you stay safe and the others around you are safe from you.

3. Initial E

Initial E New Member

why wont your friend take you?

Whenever one of my friends ask me I jump at the chance. Just gives me a reason to go shoot. lol I blow off other shit that is probably more important

slap your friend and tell him he is doing an injustice to American society by not helping educate another person about firearms and firearm safety.

4. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Wait for your friend or someone who is familiar with guns. Another alternative is go to a range and ask for instruction.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Do not bring his gun to the range without him or have it in your car without him. If he let you do that, he wouldnt be a responsible gun owner. The laws vary from state to state.

I was sort of in the same situation. Went around to a few ranges to look at guns and wanted to get some basic instruction. They all said to contact so and so and wanted to charge $30 an hour. That was fine but the people only did instruction one day out of the month. :wtf: My friend and I went out and bought our own guns and went shooting with no problems.

To you plan on buying one eventually? Go to the different shops/ranges and hold them in your hand. If they fit well, pick 2-3 different ones and come back here and ask questions. The Smith & Wesson M&P is nice because you can change the back straps (the part where you palm goes) so different sized hands are no problems. If you plan to carry at all, find a subcompact model.

Here is a GREAT video for proper pistol grip.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

I was in JROTC so I have always handled guns with safety first. Too many accidents happen when people neglect the basic safety rules when handling a weapon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  6. AB13

AB13 New Member

I would definately NOT recommend a totally new shooter to go to the range by himself. NOT a good idea. There are no second chances with a gun. Go with someone that can show you the ropes, you not only endanger yourself, but others.

7. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

Let me clarify. I intended to go to the range for some instruction, only using his gun. One of the $30 deals like someone else mentioned above. I didn't know if I was safe legally having it in the case, in the car, and at the range with it registered to someone else.

8. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

Please don't assume by having never fired a hand gun before than I'm some dumb kid. I'm not going to the range to fire the thing sideways "gangster style" or twirl it around like some fucking western. I won't be "wandering" around the range unattended "playing around". :squint:

9. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

He was in Columbia this Saturday at school for the day, so this was another weekend gone. :hs:

I told him that he's fucked if someone breaks in and it's left to me to shoot the guy. Trying to give him a little incentive. :o

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

There are other things outside of "general gun rules" that I guarantee you will not be familiar with that would and could place other people in danger besdies yourself.

Here are just a few examples:

Safe area's and generally when and where to handle a gun, wether its' hot or cold: these are designated areas you are allowed to handle a firearm with ammo, and in a certain manner. Shooters are very VERY sensitive to someone handling their firearm in area's they shouldn't be. I would tear someones head off for handling a gun behind the line behind me, guaranteed most will react this way, with justification.

Hot line, cold line: this is the target taping, and target reseting sequence on "some" ranges and how and when to do so. You need to find out the protocal for this for your range.

how to unloaded and clear: this is the act of showing clear with a gun while unattended or left on the table, if you are not firing a gun and dont' have it on your holster, you should have it on the "hot" bench with the barrel of gun pointed down range with the action/breech left open.

General muzzle control and to where your trigger finger should and shouldn't be.

How to SAFELY clear a jam, or identify a "squib". This is one that a lot of even experienced shooters struggle with. There is a way to clear a gun and diagnose it on the line.

And there's a universal "Golden 4 gun rules" that you need to not only "know" but "live". If you don't know them, I suggest you start with this first.

Any and all of these things are things a "non shooter" will NOT know about that are very serious, and they happen all the time. It's more than just setting up a target, pulling a trigger and loading a mag.

This is not an insult at your age, or level of training or lack there of. If you are not aware of these things, they can land in a world of trouble. I am all for starting "new shooters" into our little world, I am known in my gun club for bringing in new shooters all the time and setting them up in our sport, I even keep a spare rig and spare gun to lend to new shooters, so it's not that I'm against bringing new shooters in. I just want to ensure you do so correctly and SAFELY is all to ensure you not only come back, but enjoy this hobby.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  11. Initial E

Initial E New Member

lol

you should ask him why'd did he buy it if he never plans to shoot it?

I get pissed if I just see my XD just sitting there for weeks on end. It's like an investment going to waste. cant let that shit happen

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

As AB13 said its nothing to do with being a dumb kid or anything like that. The smartest adult still gets trained before driving a semi or forklift and guns should be no different. You don't have to be wandering around a range or playing around to seriously hurt yourself or others.