Want to get subs and replacement speakers for my new truck..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Sep 4, 2005.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I have an 05 F150 Lariat Supercrew.. I didn't get the factory sub because I had heard some bad things about them.

I have some JL W6 10" sub's I want to put in there, but to do it I'd have to purchase a rear seat lift kit which would include taking out the back seat, adding a 1" lift bracket, and reinstalling. Not interested..

There are tons of premade boxes that fit under the rear seats. I want to get one of these, and I believe they hold 10's and another version holds 12's.

I want to possibly go Boston Acoustics for the door speakers (6x8 in front and rear).

Question #1: 2-way vs 3-way.. Obviously 3-way are more clear? Any reason I should avoid 2-way's?

Question #2: Recommend a sub.. I know Boston Acoustics has some subs, but not sure how they sound. I need something clear, something tight, but something that hits as well. Remember I'll be downgrading from JL W6's.

I have a Zapco 750 amp, but will probably sell it since its like 3 feet long and I can't really fit it anywhere.. So remember I'll need subs that will work on a 500w amp that may be 12" long that I can fit under the front seat..

Also - I'll probably stick with factory deck. 6-CD in dash, and it flows with the dash nicely. I don't want to put in aftermarket and have it look like shit with the double-din to single-din dash kit, etc. HOWEVER, I plan to purchase the Eclipse AVN-2454 HU in a few weeks, and then the whole deal will change. :)

OK masterminds. GO! :) The goal of this truck's sound will be crisp, clear, tight sound. Clarity is my #1 goal.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

as far as 2 way vs 3 way goes thats up to you, nothng wrong with 2-ways, usually a reason to avoid a 3-way is cuz of the added install hassles. Depends on what you are willing to do. Personally I'd like a 3-way over a 2-way buit thats going to cost more money and and the installation woes, ehh not for me at this time. You will get fuller sound though.

Dont have much to say about subs. Depends on your budget and I'd need mounting depth specifications.

And you said your speaker size was 6x8? Get some adapters to convert that to round.

As far as speakers go there is a wide range of things to choose from

Tell me what your planned budget is for the areas of your future system, how much for speakers, how much for sub etc

And remember not to find speakers for your amps but amps for your speakers.

side note: what exactly is in your av?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  3. DatacomGuy

It's the top of a communications rack.

As far as budget, I really haven't decided.. nothing too insane, but not wal-mart pricing either.. just throw something at me and we can go from there.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

If you are talking about a 2way 6x8 coaxial vs. a 3way 6x8 coaxial, there is not difference. Its more of a gimmick than anything. A nice 2way 6x8 coaxial would be plenty. I myself prefer a 6.5" coaxial like a Morel Integra, and just build an adaptor plate out of MDF.

For subs in that super small box, look into either an Image Dynamics IDQ10" or a Peerless XLS 10". Both can work with moderate power and small enclosures, with the Peerless XLS 10" going down to a minimum of 0.4 cubic ft. Tuned right, it'll provide more than enough punch in your music.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Hm as far as components go there are quite a few brands i've heard good things about but not sure about the price or where to get them, these brands include Crossfire (ive seen some stuff but often cant find other things), Vibe and Eton.

But for easy to find stuff we've got these dynaudios here:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm...unt_ID=29&sort=account_name&=Update+Selection

some Focals:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm...unt_ID=33&sort=account_name&=Update+Selection

People also praise Boston Acoustics:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm...unt_ID=19&sort=account_name&=Update+Selection

Since I dont really have a specific budget I was just showing those by manufacturer, woofersetc generally has pretty good prices, sometimes better than what pricegrabber can turn up. Then there is always ebay.

6. DatacomGuy

Yes, I should have specified coaxials.. but that's what I was speaking of. And you are right, I'll probably go with 6.5's and make the adapter - considering 6.5's are easier to find then 6x8's. Also, in my truck behind the door panel they already created a spot for tweeters, so I'll probably go components which I didn't know until this morning.

I will check out both of those brands. Thank you sir!

7. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I've got some Boston Acoustic Z6 components if you want them. $500 shipped. Just make sure you got plenty of juice to power them. :)

8. DatacomGuy

Wheeeew.. I bet those sound great..

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

6x8=5x7...and there's a few companies that make 5x7 component sets that will bolt right in. alpine type r and kicker come to the top of mind first, but i think there's more than those two. that's if you don't feel like making plates

10. DatacomGuy

How do the Alpine's sound?

11. DatacomGuy

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

For less than $100 shipped, I would probably go for it. Don't expect anything to be mind blowing spectacular, but a slight improvement over the stock system. As always, amplification and a clean signal from the headunit will always win :)

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

actually pretty decent in our sound room. decent midbass and the tweeters screamed (not harsh). dunno, i liked them

14. DatacomGuy

Interesting..