Want to get rid of BMW.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It's a 2000 328i with sport and premium package been giving me reliablity issues latly and I feel the steptronic transmission with 82,xxx miles is about to give out. If it does I would definitly get a 5spd but that could put me back anywhere from 2-5k. Car is very fun to drive, handling is so :bowdown: and definitly looks pimp. Some things have been failing latly. I just purchased everything to replace the engine cooling system so it doesn't fail (which could lead to blown head gaskets) and my steering pump just went out 2 days ago (still driveable just makes loud grinding noise when I turn)

So, what jap car could I get that is equal or greater in performance as well as an overall nice ride for lets say 15-16k?

CLIFFS: I want a reliable car over BMW 2000 328i.

What compares for about 15-16k?

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Loaded 5.5gen (02-03) Maxima w/ 6spd would be about right. Performance wise, it's faster and with an aftermarket suspension, will handle about as well as the 328.

3. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Girlfriend has one, they are all right. I don't like the body style too much.

BMW's just have something to them I cannot resist. I'm thinking about buying a 240sx beater (found one for under a grand :hsd:) and driving that around while I hook up the BMW.

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

VQ35 + 240 = teh win

5. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

swap a SR

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Lexus IS300... it's practically a clone of the 328i (it was designed to be), but it's a Toyota and therefore doesn't break as much.

Note that the first year cars only came with an automatic transmission, 5-speed came in 2002.

Most of the cars in this segment are wrong wheel drive :o

7. gdawg

gdawg New Member

Maxima is nice and fast but there is zero way that car will handle like the BMW. I have had 3 maxima's 4th,5th,6th gen. Had suspension set ups on all of them. My 01 5series with stock sprt rocks them all in handling.

8. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

bmw's have almost 50/50 weigh distruibution and they're rwd, theres no way that a maxima with any amount of money poured into it can handle remotely close

9. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

BMWs were engineered to have amazing handling abilities. They will go where you point them but then again they will break when you push them (with higher miles)

I was thinking an Eclipse GST. Good choice?

10. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

gsx, think awd :bowdown: but crankwalk ftl

i made a sr20 swapped 240 for about 13k with full coilovers, stereo system and intake fmic and exhaust

im not sure about any other cars around that price range but switch from rwd to a fwd setup would definately be a downgrade

11. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Crankwalk? Explain?

I hear DMS engines take alot of maintenance so I'm starting to stray away from that idea.

12. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

they can explain it better than i can

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Turbo DSMs are more prone to breakage than your car. Especially when modified.

14. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

:ugh2:

look into an SC300 five speed....probably tuned a little more towards luxury on the suspension setup, but the aftermarket can fix that.

15. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

After some research I found this out and thus I'm still searching for a different car.

I don't really like the Lexus SC300, it looks so.... not modern?

What other choices do I have?

16. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

bimmers have been using the front midship setup forever, are you saying a front drive forward heavy setup can possibly have more performance potential than a front midship rear drive setup?

edit: btw i do like the sc300, good luck finding a 5spd though

17. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

1.find a fd rx7 rolling chassis with blown engine

2.swap in ls1 engine from chevy

3.enjoy

18. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

SC300? :hsugh:

IS300:

[​IMG]

edit: I should have read the other replies more thoroughly. Still, free IS300 pic. w00t.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  19. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

FD?

I would need the engine and whole entire drivetrain to do the swap. I'm suspecting that would be a pain in the ass and would suck up gas.

I almost want to take a hit and just get an accord or something.

:hs:

20. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

21. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

Go with the IS300, its sporty, reliable, and handles great.

22. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 New Member

The S2000 is not as practical for this situation. Have you looked into the G35? That seems to be the car you are describing. may be more expensive but could be worth it. I'm unsure of the cost of a used one. or maybe an older E class benz.

23. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Might be able to find a '02-03 G35 Sedan in that range. I just got an '06 6spd sedan. May not be quite as refined but the VQ is a solid engine with a fairly big aftermarket following. There's not much to make it unreliable either. RWD, 50/50 dist, and a minimum 260hp is a fairly strong argument.

24. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

Don't be swayed by uninformed members reguritating the same stereotypical "facts" they have heard my "forum genius'"

The fact is that less than 2% of all DSM engines had crankwalk issues, and for the most part all the ones which were going to walk, already have.

As for the maintainance, I know people making ridiculous power on stock engines with no problems, and other people who have not been as lucky. It seems to be that if you take care of the car, it will take care of you. It also depends on who the previous owner was and how they treated the car.

25. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Have you bothered to get a full transmission oil flush yet? That might resolve whatever problems you feel building up.