Want to get back into programming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheRooTy, Mar 13, 2009.

1. TheRooTy

TheRooTy New Member

I used to do some basic things with VB6 and was doing a tut for C++ but that bored me, wasn't much progression. Plus, moving to a new computer couldn't transfer over VB6 and C++, was wondering if anyone had some tut's that were useful to get me started. It doesn't need to be hardcore coding could be html or java, just want to learn something constructive.

2. Metzgore

Metzgore New Member

Im in the same boat as you, something with C# as well.

3. TheRooTy

TheRooTy New Member

my friend gave me a C++ tut but it really didn't go anywere and i spent a week on something I could not use to my advantage.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

PHP is fairly easy to learn.

5. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

Instead of asking everyone here what you should learn, you should consider programming languages as tools such as a hammer,saw etc. Different programming languages are better suited for different jobs depending on what you want to accomplish. What do you want to do? Program for websites, web applications, video games etc? I can't recommend anything for you unless I know what specifically you want to accomplish. If you don't really know, Python is powerful, easy to read, and you can do a lot for so few lines of code without understanding exactly what the machine is doing. If you want to truly become a good programmer, you need to understand some of the more difficult concepts such as memory management, polymorphism, multithreading etc. For memory management, C/C++ is good (ideally C so you can really understand it although it may be daunting for the unfamiliar programmer. Polymorphism is good for C++ or Java since Java is naturally a polymorphic language. Also multithreading is great to learn in Java since Java does it well although there are libraries in C++ that allow you handle it.

C++ = super fast, you only pay for what you use (included libraries)
    Java = super portable, garbage collection agency (to handle memory for you)
    Python = very powerful, fast scripting language (doesn't need to be compiled but uses an interpreter) It is fast but you wouldn't use this solely for a game, but scripts in conjunction with C++ for example would be a good idea for implementing a game.
    Perl = another scripting language, more difficult to read but it is cool as well.
    C# = Useful, if you want to start making Xbox 360 games you can get into XNA.

If you are into web programming, you can do some of the basic stuff such as XHTML/Javascript and if you want to work with data and databases you can learn ASP/SQL etc.

Like I said, its all about the right tool for the right job.

6. TheRooTy

TheRooTy New Member

yeah I'm more into game design in the future, but I was just puting it out that I would like to learn anything just to have that backround.