MIL Want to do inter-service transfer, have questions.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kroze, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

I'm looking to transfer to the national guard or air national guard, does anyone know how does it work? i have 2 yr 4 months left and prefer to serve the rest of the time instead of reenlisting.

the Marines doesn't have much to offer me in the civilian world. I would like to transfer and pick a different MOS that would help me get a decent civilian job once i'm out.

the current situation doesn't look good because my CO has stop letting people leaving our unit to others. He said he's not going lose anymore marines. but the thing is that a friend of mine who's working for an army recruiter said he can't do that. that's stopping you progressing/improving yourself or something like that.

2. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

From what I understand you can leave a reserve unit (or guard) to go AD but you can't do it the other way with out having your chain of command bite off on it.
    I don't know all the ins and outs but you might want to talk to a JAG about what can and cant be done by your CO.

3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

oh i'm in the reserve. its just that the other services got so much to offer compare to the marines which give you squat.

4. JL

Oh, I missed that, I thougth your were AD. In the Air Guard if you relocate more then 300 miles from your unit you have the option to change to a closer unit or seperate if there is no unit with in a feasable range (300 miles). Use your chain of command and see what they actually say when you go through the motions, you'll probably need a better reason then just wanting to leave the Marines because the Army and Air Guard give you more....

Good Luck,
    If you have a degree you probably would be able to pursue a commission in another service (and get out of the Marines because you are bettering yourself) (thats not ment to offend any enlisted)

5. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

You would need to get a DD form 368 signed by a nat'l guard or air nat'l guard recruiter, then get it approved by your commander. From there, once you contract into the new branch, you will be discharged from the active component.

6. the raging enigma

the raging enigma If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidenc

i process conditional releases on a daily basis

7. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

What is it? do you get released from the service or release to another service? are you in the Marine Corps side because it's like impossible to intertransfer at my reserve unit. i don't blame them, we lost a crapload of leadership once our unit came back from the war. no one reenlisted and for a while, our unit was so desperate for NCO that its ridiculous. our CO made it clear that he will not lose anymore marines. he said he has already denied 5 transfer request last drill.

8. JL

It basicly states that your CO will release you so long as you are accepted into the gaining unit.
    Sounds like it wont work for you though.