Want to detail my car for the first time. Have a couple questions, wanna do it right

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by V, Sep 7, 2005.

1. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

ok, so i got my first car back in july. i've been doing a lot of travelling and moving since then but now i'm finally ready to get the paint into good shape. since i got it i've just been washing it every week (or two when i was travelling). i use meguiars gold class car wash and i have a couple of sheep skin mits i use.

now i wanna do a full detail but i'm still not sure what all i need. i check these forums and i check the detailing forums over at audiworld but it seems like there is just so much to choose from i have no idea what to get.

my main goals are to clean the car of any residue, remove the swirl marks, and give it a nice clean wet look. by residue, i mean that in direct sunlight, or when i'm drying the car, you can see what look to be water spots. you can't see them when the car is dry though and not in direct sun. also, when i'm drying the windshield i can still see the outline of writing that was once there like when they were selling it. its really annoying. would clay be the best thing for getting all this crap off the car? pictures below.

also, i'm not sure what the best way is to get rid of the swirls. do i need to go with a dedicated swirl remover and then polish? or can i just polish it? wax of course to top it off (NXT? again, so many to choose from...)

anyway, here are some pics. the first three are just of my car after a wash. the last few should help show the problem areas i'm trying to fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is above the driver door. looks kinda like a scuff or something. not deep at all. kinda hard to see in the picture

[​IMG]

this is the hood. its got a couple of scratches on one side. again, nothing deep. just eyesores.

[​IMG]

the hood in sunlight. here you can see the swirl marks and water spots which are my primary concern.

[​IMG]

also, i would be polishing and waxing by hand. don't have money for a pc at the moment. i'm not sure how much of everything i need though. you use terry cloth towels for applying and removing polish right? and terry for removing wax? the onces i saw at pepboys looked more like rags to me and i wouldnt trust those on my paint. i bought two meguiars towels (and probably overpaid) but i don't think that will be enough. how many towels should i plan to use and what should i look for in a good terry towel?

sorry this thread is so long, i just don't wanna fuck anything up :hs:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Resize your pics so I can read your post without moving the page. Seriously, it makes it a real pain to follow what you are asking.

3. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

sorry, i left them big cause i thought it would be easier to see the scratches and spots. are they still too big? they are 800x600 now and work fine with my resolution. let me know if i need to make them smaller.

4. Scottwax

800 x 600 is fine. ;)

Working by hand will limit your results, it will take a PC to get rid of the swirls completely. The swirl removal sticky has the information you need to work by hand. I'd suggest Optimum Polish since it has a long working time and breaks down very nicely. Follow with Clearkote's Vanilla Moose and either their Carnauba Moose Wax or Poorboy's EX w/carnauba.

I believe you can get all those products through www.exceldetail.com

I'd clay the glass, then go over it with Vanilla Moose.

5. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

thanks scott. do you think i should clay the whole car first too? would that help with those water spots?

and i didnt realize it was common to treat glass other than to keep it clean. but you usually apply a glaze to the windshield?

and finally, about towels. are there certain kinds you guys would reccomend or a place to get them? i remember seeing some links in this forum before but i forget where. i guess i mostly need towels for applying and removing the polish and glaze. i have a decent microfiber towel and a water blade for drying.

6. Scottwax

Clay the whole car, it removes bonded contaminants polishing doesn't. Should help with the water spots. Excel detail has some great towels. I'd use the water blade only on the glass, you get anything caught between it and the paint and you will fluXor your finish.

7. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

scott, the EX w/carnauba is a sealant isnt it? would i need to apply a wax over the top of it if i used it? or is it like sealant/wax? i'm trying to decide between the moose wax and the ex...

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

You can use it either way. It works great as an LSP, but can be topped with a carnuba paste wax like Nattys or S100 for a wetter look. Or can even be layered preaty effectivly.

Personally i like the look of EXw/carnuba by itself in two layers. Give a nice deep wet shine. And is very dusable. Topping with S100 or Nattys Blue would just add tot he depth of the paint. Not really add much in the way of aditional protection.

9. Scottwax

You would be very happy with either Carnauba Moose or EX w/carnauba. Both have a deep rich look, are easy to use and durable. Based on my experience, Carnauba Moose looks its best when applied via PC and a finishing pad. EX looks just as good applied by hand or machine.

10. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

ok i got the EX. i'm doing this by hand for now so sounds like that was the best choice. hopefully it doesn't rain this weekend and i can get the job done. i'll post pics of course when i'm done...