Want to buy a laptop... advice?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nonplus, Jun 3, 2005.

1. nonplus

nonplus New Member

As far as I go, I was a huge computer dork way back in high school, but I haven't kept up with anything, so I don't know what's good and bad out of anything recent (last 5 years).

But here's my question: I'm looking into buying a notebook. I have a general idea of what I want as far as specs go, but what's the difference between all these models floating around?

Example: Toshiba Satellites. I'm looking at their site, the P30 and P35, for example. The specs are different, but I can customize a P30 to match the P35. So if I do that, NOW what's the difference? P30 costs more this way.

Same goes with the other Satellite models, M35, M45, etc. If I customized all the Toshiba Satellites (all 6 or 7 of them) to have identical processors/RAM/HD/video/etc. what would be the difference? None of them would be the same price.

Thanks for any info, I'm quite confused. And this is after looking at just one line of one brand!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

toshiba notebooks are pieces of shit, so you deserve to pay more for your stupidity.

All the "big" manufactures mass-produce their crappy products, so when you customize them, they charge more. And remember, upgrades are where they make money. So of course your gonna get ass-raped.

Look at Ford and Chevy... Both come with small engines stock (4.6 and 4.8L, respective) and then they sell you "upgraded" engines (5.4 and 5.3L, respectively) for *LESS* than the stock choices (by almost a grand, btw)

3. nonplus

nonplus New Member

Okay, okay. But please don't shit all over a brand without recommending something in its place.

My main question is, though, regardless of make/model, what is the difference among models? Is there any at all if you can put the same processors/etc in them?

I'm not counting differences such as the fact that one might be a tablet version of the other. P30 and P35 were my examples because they look the same... but you can do that with any brand.

4. wtfzaphod

wtfzaphod New Member

Fujistu N3510
    /thread

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: :greddy: :mamoru:

6. nonplus

nonplus New Member

suggest something

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can we have one thread on this forum where you are not a complete asshole with what you think is and is not a piece of shit?

Do us a favor and GTFO... No one wants to hear your one sided bullshit...

I have an old Toshiba Satellite and it worked great. I never had a complaint about it.

But, my recommendation goes to Dell for a laptop...

8. nonplus

nonplus New Member

thanks, finally, for a good response. anything in particular that you like about dell?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Um, no... dell is just as bad.

you want a recommendation... asus!

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You are so full of it...

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

have you ever used an asus notebook? :coolugh:

12. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No I have not, but have used Toshiba's and many many Dells and have zero complaints about either...

Do you really think nonplus is going to listen to you just because you say they are bad machines without giving any real reason??? I don't think so...

And calling him stupid for asking about Toshiba's is TOTALLY uncalled for...

13. nonplus

nonplus New Member

i'll ignore him for now. anyway! i'm basically deciding between dell inspirons and toshiba satellites. i think i'll just wait and jump on whomever offers a great deal first. i like IBM too, but i'm going to save my money

14. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I have and I prefer a Dell anyday, IBM if you prefer. Do not care for Gateway, Toshiba etc...

The bandwagon that the biggest is bad is just wrong.

15. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I like Dell -- their older Inspiron's were of a pretty poor build quality but as of late they've really picked up. I own a 700m and have some 6000D's for sale -- if you were looking into buying a Dell take a look at mine :)

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1822696

[I am selling at my cost from when Dell had a great deal]

16. RalphL

RalphL Active Member

IBM. I can't talk for Asus cause I have never used one. My sister has an IBM Think Pad and it pwnts.

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I was actually thinking of a Toshiba also, only because they have optical audio outs, and I will need that. If I do get a laptop though, I will buy the bottom of the line from watever series I get, and then put in ram, a bgger HD, maybe a new optical drive, and all that shit on my own. Instead of paying 200 bucks to go from 512, to a gig, I will spend less and get 256, and spend 100 bucks for a gig, then sell the stick of 256.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the optical out still suffers from feedback, fwiw.

19. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I've enjoyed my Dell laptop for the past few years. I have heard amazing things about the IBMs though. If you have the cash, I would go for one of those Thinkpads.

jollyogre, you need to relax. If you can't reply with words of decent advice, don't reply.

20. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

:bigthumb: Jolly's a complete prick, always has been, always will be. I'm almost certain he's where they got the Nick Burns character from on SNL.

I love my Toshiba's, I have two. Never had any problems with them.

21. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

current gen powerbooks are great.

...and stfu jollyogre.

22. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

A powerbook might be something for me.. I never thought about that.

23. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

Dell Latitude

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Toshiba is the primary laptop that people bring to me to repair. They are always breaking... usually due to overheating because they used shitty fans that burn up. Other problems are shitty performance, likely due to the IDE drive and controller combos they use. Dell was the #2 to come back to me. Often with broken keyboards, horrible battery life, or some mixture of quality issues. Dell also performs like ass. I have never seen a dell where I look at the specs and say, "okay, that's how it should run"... they're just naturally slow. Gateway is hit or miss. Some gateways perform well, and are otherwise good machines. Gateway's downfall is horrible stock windows installs, and not-so-great batteries. Fujitsu has awsome screens -- arguably the best of any notebook, but everything else about them are crap. Horrible performance. Horrible quality issues. HP notebooks are junk. I hope I don't have to elaborate on that... We should all just agree they're crap. Compaq is just the low-end HPs (crap). IBMs are nice, but you pay a premium for them... In all honesty, they're a ripoff. IBM has crappy screens in a majority of their units... Only the very high end ones have decent screens. Reliability is good. Performance is above average, although not what I would call "outstanding". Asus is king. They have a great selection of products, and are arguably some of the most customizable. They also have the best performance (verified by benchmarks) for any "notebook" notebook. By that I mean a centrino platform that is still a notebook -- not a desktop in a small case. Awsome battery life. Supurb warranty. And unparalled reliability. Of the 1000's of asus notebooks I've built, I've RMA'd two chassis and 1 optical drive. Pretty fucking good rates, if I must say so, myself. The one area that asus needs to improve is their screen. They're decent, but they don't have the "wow" factor of the fujitsu's. If asus would use the same screen as a fujitsu, it would be hands-down the best notebook on the market, without question. As it is right now, it's still the best, but they're a step away from the "knockout".

If you must get a notebook that isn't the best (asus) then I would say get a gateway. Of all the mainstreams, they're pretty decent -- which I find interesting, because they get picked on a lot.

I don't care what anyone says. HP makes great laser printers. But the rest goes downhill from there. Their inkjets are mediocre, and their laptops are just one step above "junk". But don't worry, Compaq fills in where HP leaves off, and takes the "junk" category.

Dell amazes me time and time again.... And not in the good way. I honestly cannot figure out why anyone would use their systems. They are crap. Besides being inferior in specs, they are horribly quality. Dells have high failure rates for major components, such as hard drives, and even when working properly, they do not perform as a system of those specs should. Especially with hdd performance -- which has always been dell's problem area... I don't know what they're doing that's so wrong... whether it's at the controller, or the drive... But performance is simply disappointing, to say the least.

As for the power book, it's up to you. I think they look good. Price is high, but not outrageous. What concerns me is their batteries... Seems like every apple battery has a huge problem -- usually announced long after you've bought your unit. I can't recall the exact details, but I vividly remember MANY recalls on apple batteries. If you don't need windows, per-se, then apple is naturally another place to look... And unlike their desktops, their notebooks are at least within the realm of financial feasability.

25. xheliox

xheliox It's Good To Be King

Again :gtfo2:

So because it happens in your little world, it sucks? ..even if every person in the world disagrees with you? There are many IT professionals in this forum, and if you were to ask them their experiences with X brands, you'd probably get different answers from each person. The only way to really determine what "sucks" and what doesn't is to have real data, from many sources throughout the world. We don't have that, we just have your obnoxious opinion, which as far as I'm aware doesn't hold much weight.. especially on this forum.

In closing, I have a wholesale vendor who sells Asus laptops. He commented to me the other day that he had a bunch of them out for repair/replacement. Does that mean they suck too? Or does it have to happen to you first before it's true?