Want to build a computer, tell me what i need.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KiddX, Aug 31, 2005.

1. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

this is the first time i wil be doing this. i need help.

want to spend ~1k. Show me the best place to get all this shit, tell me what im forgetting, and suggestions on what to get would be most welcome.

Case
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Video Card
    Power Source
    Ram
    Hard drive(s)
    cd-rom(s)
    Eathernet card
    Usb pci card
    Sound Card

2. Robb

Robb Guest

newegg.com

amd or intel cpu
    mb w/ pci-e
    pci-e graphics card
    sb audigy card
    1 gb ram at least
    200 gb hd at least
    dvd burner

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Ethernet, usb and sound should already be on your video card. The only thing worth upgrading is the possibly the sound. But many of them no offer 8 channel audio built into the board.

But that's the basic jist of what you're gonna need to build a comp already on your list.

4. evan2

evan2 Guest

yea but using mobo sound puts more strees on it.. a cheap sound card that works will help
    pci e video card is going to run him a good bit and he will prob break his 1k limit
    its possible not butyou want to buy everything, you have any old parts you can recycle?

5. KiddX

nah

you fellas know of any good deals on a barebones system?

6. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

What are you going to do with it? If you are just gonna surf the web, write papers and play music at a reasonable volume, then a motherboard with built in audio and video will work fine. Should you plan on running ungodly amounts of stuff with loud music, you might want to consider seperate video, audio, and motherboards.

7. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

That sounds like me. I have 2gb now and plan on upping it to 4 in the future.

8. KiddX

i think i need to just find a nice little system, the only things she is doing with it are downloading tons of shit. and listening to music.

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

What for? Windows suffers with more than 2GB installed, so i hope you're on a different OS.

More RAM does NOT mean better performance by any means.

10. xivera

xivera Active Member

Really!? Why?

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: I have 1 gig and unless I'm doing some pretty intense multi-tasking, it never all gets used up. No swap (page file) on this machine either, just a gig of physical RAM.

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

mostly because it's just Windows. but here is a better explanation...

"You do realise that your using 32 bit software and OS, correct?

Your computer can have over 4GB, the E7505 supports upto 16GB, but any individual program you run is only going to see 4GB (with at most 3.5GB available, 2GB more likely).

In otherwords, with 8GB of RAM and two programs running, they could each see different regions of memory without swapping. Programs get mapped to different regions of physical RAM.

A single 32 bit program can never see over 4GB, and then you have PCI space to contend with, as well as shared DLL mappings, and then you have thread stack space (if left at default) sucking up a ton of mapping. And then you have to contend with any allocation past 2GB coming up negative and the potential bugs in software that can expose. If the software is aware, it can see ~3.5GB, but not all software is.

Please don't blame the E7505.

A lot of software have a "/3GB" switch to let it know it's tredding on dangerous ground. If you do a dogpile search, you might find some boot.ini settings you can fiddle with as well." - talking about a man suffering with 4GB of RAM on Windows and his mobo. he incorrectly blamed his mobo.

13. smokengoat

smokengoat Guest

well ive built a few cpus lately and for you to go under 1k and still have a kick ass cpu. Asus motherboard with amd 64 you can get the 3500+ pretty cheap with the x2s out go with a gig of ddr dual channel ram ive been an advicate of ati but nvidia is just as good but ide get a x800 xt radeon card i run it its great just make shure its compatible with the motherboard cause they make pci express x16 cards and the old technology. get a dvd/cd burner you wont regret it sound cards are a waist cause their uber expensive and the motherboards come with pretty good sound on them already. hard drive get the ata 150 7500rpm nothing below 200gigs and then a case with a 420 watt power supply
    thats basically what i run and its a pretty kick ass computer. try mwave.com for the motherboard and cpu bundles they have pretty good deals and get all your stuff there to save on shiping good luck:)

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

wtf? theres so many errrors in that i dont knwo where to begin. i honestly think you don't know anything about computers.

1. you don't build CPU's. you build computers. If you can single-handedly "build a cpu" please come to my house and show me how

2. if he's not interested in burning CD's or DVD's...why would he benefit from one? I've never needed or wanted one..so if i got one it's be a waste of money and space.

3. ATA is one of the slowest ways to transfer data on HDD's. why would you recommend ATA? SCSI/RAID are far superios and faster.

4. HDD's dont come in "7500rpm" speeds. it's 7200RPM's.

5. Why would you recommend 200GB? I use 13GB out of my 120GB HDD's (which i got for $90...couldn't pass that up) and i've got everything i need. If you can;t use up 200GB (or any amount of GB) then it is a waste of money to buy that much. More GB does NOT mean better if you can't use them.

6. If you get a case and it comes with a power supply, more than likely the included PSU is a piece oh shit. Now, i have PSU's i stilll use that came with the case, but i wouldn't put them in my overclocking rig or anything. They just are for temporary backup usage at stock settings. Buy a good PSU.