Want the best in car solution for your iPod that is super cheap?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

[​IMG]

Griffin Technology will unveil a handful of new, innovative iPod products at next week's Macworld Conference & Expo in San Francisco. Griffin will debut the SmartDeck audio cassette adapter for third- and fourth-generation iPods as well as iPod minis. The new accessory will allow users to use their own stereo's transport buttons--such as fast-forward, rewind, next song, previous song, etc.--to control an iPod. The SmartDeck should be compatible with virtually any cassette deck. The final version of the product may also ship with other features such as the ability set the iPod's volume for optimum output.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

that would be cool if i had a car with a cassette deck in it. :)

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I still have my stock unit in my car (CD and tape) and since I'm selling it late this year, I don't want to invest in hard wiring or any other methods. So I was happy to see this offering.

4. inamorata

inamorata New Member

price?

shipping date?

:hyper:

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

No info released on that yet. They are also releasing this wireless control for the iPod too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. inamorata

inamorata New Member

will there still be connection on the top of the airclick for my tape adaptor of itrip :hsd: ?

7. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Looks like it. There is a black little spot at the top that looks like a headphone jack from the side in the first pic.

8. inamorata

inamorata New Member

i thought that might be the hold button :dunno:

9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Griffen is pretty good at making their accessories look like they are Apple factory direct pieces. I would bet if there is a hold switch it would be as long and look like the one on the iPod.

10. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

airclick is teh sex... but it looks like they've precluded 3rd gen iPods :sad2: :mad:

11. MP

MP New Member

i'll stick with my Monster icar player thingie. It was about $60 and works great. Idabbled around with hardwiring or using the itrip and some other 3rd party hardware but the monster one is simply all around the best one on the market. The wire is long enough to hide it well, automatically turns on/off your ipod when you start/stop your car. Automatically charges it during use. I really like that it uses the dock connector instead of the headphone jack also.

I give the monster one a 4 out of 5

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

$25

Following an exclusive pre-Macworld Expo interview with Griffin Technology representatives Chris Heric and Sharp Emmons, iPodlounge was blown away by the company's new SmartDeck audio cassette adapter ($24.99) - a patent pending in-car solution for iPods that both transmits an iPod's music to a car stereo and permits that stereo's existing controls to operate the iPod. SmartDeck will ship in the second quarter of this year.

White in color and otherwise externally almost identical to Sony's CPA-9C cassette adapter, the SmartDeck connects to an iPod's headphone jack and four-pin top accessory port with a single white cable, and is inserted into a car's cassette tape player to enable inexpensive and clean iPod-to-stereo audio transmission. However, SmartDeck differs internally from the CPA-9C and less reliable competitors, using optical technology to map the stereo's fast forward, rewind, and other buttons to the iPod's internal controls. Moreover, Griffin's engineering representative promised that the product would outperform Sony's adapter - our benchmark for reliability - in performance and longevity. As Sony's adapter shames low-end products made by companies such as Coby, we can't help but be excited for its potential.

Given its inexpensive price, seemingly great audio quality and certain utility to millions of iPod owners, Griffin's SmartDeck is the single most important product we've seen thus far before Macworld Expo. If the finished product delivers on Griffin's promises - and on time - it will be a must-have accessory for iPod owners with in-car cassette decks. Click on Read More for a higher-resolution photograph, and expect additional information in the days to come.

13. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Plugging your cassette adapter into the headphone jack on the dock connector and the headphone jack on the top of the iPod should net the same results since you are still using a headphone jack to transmit the music.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

err, tape adaptors sound like ass :ugh:

15. MP

MP New Member

i'de rather spend $40 extra bucks for a better quality product that also sounds better. Why you are leg humping that piece of hardware is your thing. :ugh:

some mac owners are pretty wierd. Like radiohead fans.

16. inamorata

inamorata New Member

im sorry you are an idiot. :hs:

17. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Wait, you are baised just because you own something that you talk up as the best thing since sliced cheese just because you spent too much money on it. In the end, the quality is no better then something $40 less; and you say I'm leghumping. :hsugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry to break it to you, but it's just a cassette adapter and a car charger. And you can go back to talking out your ass until you actually own something Griffen makes. "better quality product that also sounds better".... Bwahahahhahahahahahah it's a damn cassette adapter. :rofl:

18. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

19. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

Ya- I have that addaptor for my 'pod. I've tried alot of different ones and the SmartDeck I have found to be the best.

I am also announcing today that my 800th post will be my last on OT.

20. cadence

cadence Guest

I've lost faith in griffin products since buying the itrip. i was convinced itd work well cause it looked good and mac stores carried the product. however, worst product ive ever owned...awful sound quality, doesn't work well at all. if you have a really crappy stereo in your car and wouldn't mind a weak signal, then itrip is for you. ive since hooked up my car with a monster cable kit and now im getting a true feed to the system! much much better.

21. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

22. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

from personal experience. Griffin iTrip, very handy and you will love it, great reception. sorry if someone already mentioned it but i didnt feel like reading the whole thread :mamoru:

23. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I just ran through their entire demo. To hook up my car it says I need $450 worth of their parts. :rofl: That just gives you the same function as the tape with better sound. For that price, I would get the Alpine or Clarion set up with built in iPod controls. Wayyyyyy better.

24. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I beg to differ. I have the iTrip and I have okay sound at best out of the iTrip in the car. I have radio stations that sound better then the one tuned to my iPod with the iTrip. If I get anywhere near Philly, the thing is useless. Inside is a different story.

25. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

What cable kit did you hook up? The RCA to the headphone jack kit?