Want A Third Monitor -- Video Card Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Viz_Ru, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Viz_Ru

Viz_Ru New Member

I currently have 2 22" monitors and want to add a third monitor or maybe HD TV in the middle.

I have an SLI capable motherboard with a BFG 8800GTS 320mb.

And they no longer sell this video card...

So what options do I have to get a third monitor to work? Also if I wanted a fourth monitor (not going to happen, but just curious), would it work if I had 2 video cards?

I'm not sure what the compatability is for SLI, does it have to be the same brand....etc...etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

if you just want to extend your desktop you can just buy some crappy pci video cards and put them in.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Disconnect the SLI and then you can use both cards separately. I guarantee you've never once maxed out one of those cards, so SLI is pointless to have.

4. Viz_Ru

Viz_Ru New Member

Sweet, stupid question, but if the third monitor is connected to the second shitty video card. Does that effect me gaming on that monitor or anything?

Or does my more powerful card do all the intense stuff and sends it to the shitty card to output?

Also, say I get a hold of a eVGA 8800GTS (for cheaper than the cheapest PCI card available here... ><) if it's 320 mb will it work?

Thanks a lot so far.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I believe as long as the chipset and RAM are the same, SLI will work. You'll want to double-check that though.