TAT want a tattoo, would be my first

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Shibboleth, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

As the title says, I want a tattoo. It would be a black & (Times New Roman) about an inch and a half tall. I'm really attracted to it and I'm certain I want it, but I'm having hesitations. This is, obviously, something that will never go away on its own.

Originally I had planned on having it on the bottom of my left wrist. But my questions are: does anyone find that to be a bad spot? Can I get turned down for jobs because I have it there? Will it constantly distract me? Which direction should I have it facing?

Can anyone recommend other good spots for tattoos (I'm a guy if that helps)? I was also thinking of the outside of my left shoulder, right on the top of my triceps.

2. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Most places will refuse to do a person's first tattoo on a visible place because of how unsure the person might be

As far as placement goes, do it somewhere where it is hidden. I have a tattoo on my upper back but when I wear a diego tee, it is completely hidden. And I plan on getting two more on my upper arm which will be completely hidden when I wear a t-shirt.

The cool thing that I liked about my first artist was that we spend about 10 minutes to make sure that my tattoo will always be hidden when I wear a diego tee. He marked the spot on my back where the shirt started and while I was moving around, he was making sure it didnt go too far below the line.

3. Two toys

Two toys New Member

uhh, my first tattoo will be completely visible if i wear a T shirt. Thankfully i work in an industry where tattooing isnt regarded as much as talent.

4. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Welll thats why I said most and not all. From what I have seen, the old school shops wont do it but the 'newer' shops will.

5. Two toys

Two toys New Member

i think they judge by who you are, if you come in and pick something off the wall then yeah they will advise against a visible place, but I gaurantee if anyone who knew what they were talking about and had been around tattoo shops for as long as I have came in and asked for custom art on any visible part of their body they would be all for it.

6. vitamin dew

vitamin dew New Member

Just go for it. It's going to be so small I doubt that any industry would see it as a problem.

7. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Yea, true. I agree with that

8. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

I really think times are changing. I recently interviewed a guy who was young and was trying really hard to get a good job, but was also trying to hide his art that was on the inside of his wrist. When i questioned him on it, his face expression dropped. I asked him to explain what it meant to him, he only had a small nautacal star. He said it was for his brother who was in the navy surving in the war. I accepted it, he could have been full of shit, but he seemed honest. Well anyway I accepted his app and passed him through to my area manager. I think the fact that i have a full sleeve and then some really didn't hamper his chances. I would only be guessing if i said his chances would have been the same with some of the other, more "traditional" people here. Needless to say the more people that have art continue to move up and become decission makers, the more it will be accepted. Right now in corp america it is still growing and slowly starting to become acceptable. Just my .02 cents.

But back to what others have said, i would really make sure you can live with your work. i took five years planning my sleeve and making sure i could live with it. I took time with my artist for placement, he suggested i go a little higher than the wrist line to make sure it wouldn't slip out in a meeting.

9. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

That's awesome. Thanks everyone for your insightful replies.

I think I'll be getting it on my shoulder because it's my first time.