GUN Wanna upgrade my 870. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aviator, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Aviator

Aviator Banned

So I've got a 12ga 870 express super magnum synth 26" barrel

The main two things I want right now are pistol grip and mag extension.

I like the pistol grip with folding stock idea and been looking at the ATI top-folding one. Any good? Just under $50 here:
    http://www.combatstocks.com/ATI_Universal_Top_Folding_Shotgun_Stock_SALE.cfm

As far as the mag extension, I'm thinking the 8 or 10, but with the 26" barrel i'm not sure if the 10 will be longer than the barrel or not. I also read on some site that newer 870s were manufactured with two dimples that make it more difficult to install the extension. I'm sure I could grind them off, as some have done, but i was curious if mag extensions were typically easy to install on 870s. I'm pretty technically inclined.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

a 26" barrel with a 10 shot extension will be fucking heavy; what are you looking to do with the gun?

3. more off

more off Moderator

i just got a stock from combatstocks

they replaced a defective unit ASAP, very good customer service.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

A 10 shell extention (it's actually +6 for a total of (10+1) will be just a tad shorter than your 26" barrel.

I would pass on the folding stock. Really uncomfortable to shoot, and lousy cheek weld. If your shooting magnum slugs and buck stay with a strait stock. Strait stocks point better and manage recoil better. The pistol grip stocks look cool and are good for weak hand reloads. If you reload strong hand the pistol grip gets in the way.

The best tube extentions are from nordic components and dave's metal works. I have nordic on my 1100 and a DMV on my benelli. My 870 actually has tacstar.

5. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Yeah my thinking behind the folding pistol grip would be keeping it multi-purpose - making it easier to handle folded for home defense and unfolded for when I wanna go shoot some clay. Being 26", I realize it's already pretty long for anything in close quarters, which is why i want to be able to fold it up. I don't wanna shorten the barrel tho and lose the weapon's versatility and ability to change chokes.

Perhaps I'll go with just the 8 shell mag, 10 probably would be pretty damn heavy.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

i don't know how it is in other parts of the country but I don't see pistol grip stocks at clays, trap or skeet. There maybe a guy or two every great while but they are generally first time knobs. The pistol grip guns just don't point as naturally and looking tatical at a round of sporting clays is just kind of dumb.

Plent of pistol grip stocks at 3gun and other practical shotgun games. Again for the week hand reloading.

For a home defense gun why the heck would you want it compact. You want a full size weapon. Better to use as a club, better for retention, and full size guns are just easier to shoot.

Of course you can do whatever you want, but a 26" pump shotgun with a folding stock is going to look pretty odd. If you wanted to make a better home defense gun and keep it as some sort of clays gun leave the strait stock on, and get a 2nd 18" barrel for home defense.

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I've heard good things about those Knoxx stocks.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I was one of the very first people to get the knoxx stock. In facy soybomb may remember I made a thread about it on [H]ardforum wmd way back. I saw it at the shot show when it was still a prototype and got on the wait list. I got the 16th stock when it went into production one year later.

When I got the stock I had high expectations and ran drills with it to determine if it was any good. One week later I returned the stock for a refund.

While the stock does work as advertised in that it does compress when fired. Everyone that shot it felt it did not really soften the recoil it just extended the recoil impulse. This made it feel softer in a way but it slowed shot to shot recovery. The gun took longer to get back onto target. This was apparant when we shot the gun for time splits. The standard stock shot faster splits consistently. Also the pistol grip as I said interfered with my strong hand reload. I use the cooley twist method where I keep my hand on the pump, rotate the shotgun 60 degrees, and load shells into the gun 4 at a time. When done in this manner my right forearm hits the pistol grip. So reloads were more difficult and slower when doing strong hand reloads.

I called knoxx and they honored a refund like they said they would. They were interested in what a competition shooter felt about their stock.

So I posted my findings on [h]ardforum wmd and a rep from knoxx registered and replied in the thread. People were tripping in that a industry guy followed me into a little wmd forum to discuss why the knoxx stock did not work for competition shooting.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

+1, please don't gay it up with folding stocks, heat shields and curb feelers. A stock is a very good thing to have, don't make it into a movie gun.

Everytime I see someone post their :love: for one I wait for you :rofl:

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Interesting. I'll remember that.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Add me to the list of people who don't like folding stocks on shotguns, or pistol grips.

I don't shoot three gun or anything, but either of the two just make a shotgun just feel so unnatural to me. Oh.... and ATI generally sucks at most things. Definitely consider trying before you buy.

12. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You have to be very careful with AR-15 stock adapters on shotguns. Most of them put your head in the wrong place where you won't be able to get a cheek weld and see your sights. (looking at the pic, this would be one of them). At the NRA law enforcement/military 3 gun match there were 3 marines that shared a 870 with a AR-15 adapter stock. They beat their faces silly and retired the gun. They borrowed another shotgun with a fixed stock. These guys were no sissys and were only shooting birdshot.

Lastly pistol grip stocks on mossberg's are not ideal. You can't work the safety without taking your hand off the grip.

I trying my best not to go full Yar mode and start calling this stuff gay, weak sauce, and stupid. Not easy, but pretty much how I feel.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sometimes the kids need tough love yar.

:rofl:

16. Joe_Cool

All of which are below yourself, right? A folding stock has a lot more gayness than that.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Come sit on my lap to find out big boy.

Seriously call it whatever name you want, what you posted is a downgrade in functionality.

18. Joe_Cool

:rofl: Who are you calling a kid, junior?

19. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i have a top folder on one of my 870 super magnum and i love it. very useful, versatile gun. it doesn't nothing for recoil

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

21. Joe_Cool

Yes, I have.

22. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

23. Joe_Cool

Because... ?

Whatever you do, don't say why. :hsugh:

24. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

How you going to sight your target with a stock that low and short? Put your chin on it? That would be good, pull the trigger at an intruder and break your jaw, way to get your family killed.

If you want a stock fit to you, get a stock fit to you, adjustable for a shotgun is stupid and i wouldn't trust moving parts.

25. Joe_Cool

:rofl: It's a shotgun, not a target rifle. You look down the barrel and shoot. If you're firing at an intruder, you likely won't be taking time to form a perfect sight picture. And I can sight a shotgun (and a rifle) just fine with that stock.

If it's stupid for a shotgun, then shouldn't it be even more stupid for a rifle? You'd better hurry and write to the DOD and let them know. :noes: