Wanna get my A+ cert - Find me a good book!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jul 28, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've used study guides from fravo.com for a few certs and they are amazing...

They also guarantee you pass on your first try or they will give you your money back.

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

A+ for dummies was actually a pretty good book for someone wanting to pass the test

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Is A+ recognized in Europe? (Ireland specifically)

Twould be good if I could get a cert to my name..

5. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

A+ isn't really recognized anywhere as being anything worthwhile.

6. SNDP

SNDP New Member

it is if a job you apply for requires it, Dell requires it for their technicians. It's a bottom rung cert so ya you arent landing 100K a year jobs with it but it's a good basic indicator for anyone getting started.

7. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

its absolutely worthless, except for that it's a basic level requirement, where if you don't have it, then you obviously can't do anything with computers.

It's more of a formalized assurance of 'I do know a little bit about computers'

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

I figure it'll help my get jobs while I'm in school studying for my comp engineering degree. I just want the cert to have it, I know some employers care for it and some don't. It really depends on who you talk to. I didn't want this to be a debate thread as I'm sure even some of the people who think its worthless have it. You can't get some jobs without some sort of certifications or somet experience, and this is a good cert to start with, wouldn't you agree?

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If he has no experience or skills, there's nothing wrong with an A+ cert to get his foot in the door at an entry-level position. Why do you fucks have to troll every thread about this shit?

Help him or leave him be.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I would agree, as many places require it as a prerequisite of working there, as I more or less hinted at with my 'formalized assurance' statement

11. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

I can guarantee you a place isn't going to turn you down for not having your A+ if you've got part of your mcse or your ccna or something.

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Likely not, however, especially retail tech stores, have signs boasting 'All our technicians are A+ certified'

and they could not allow you to be a tech until you were. That said, if you have your higher level certs, it's pretty sad if you're working at a retail tech store. If you were, they'd likely hire you, then pay to have you A+ certified so that you could be a tech.

That said, it's neither here nor there for this discussion. A+ is the first step for most aspiring computer technicians, because it's the most basic of the certifications.

13. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

The Windows XP [soon Vista, I guess] part of the mcse/mcsa is just as easy to get as the A+, and a lot more relevant. :dunno:

14. kds000

kds000 New Member

yep, the 70-620 exam is easy as hell

15. awns729

awns729 New Member

So would you say A+ for dummies >= the top seller on that page & others listed?

would it be important to look for something that is published in 08? or late 07? i figure they'd possibly include more up-to-date info. what would you all say?

cmsurfer, thanks for the recommendation, but i just have a think for paper books > online. although that guarantee is kinda cool

16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You buy online and then download the guides to your PC. It comes with a built-in test engine where you can simulate the test or just practice questions and they offer explanations on all answers... It also comes with all the questions in a .pdf you could print out if you wanted.

Definitely get something current. I'm not sure how often, but they do update the tests to stay current. I would imagine Vista questions are included now...

I'd just go to a Barnes and Noble and look around to see what they have. Take a close look... Some books offer a discount on the test voucher.

When I took my tests I think they were $125... I think it's $250/test now??

17. Blip

Blip Active Member

If the HR dept. is scanning through a boatload of resumes and they're tossing ones that don't say A+, because that's one of the requirements, then you're screwed and may not even get an interview where you can prove your knowledge to someone beyond HR. It's cheap insurance.

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

exam works program. you will pass the exam in 1 week. I studied for 1 week and passed with there exam software if you want it hit me up via pm

19. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Truth.

I got my A+. I took a class. The only thing that might be considered 'hard' with the A+ is that you have to have a bit of knowledge about things that are kind of obsolete - like knowing IRQ assignments and such.

If I had a room full of components that were not assembled and a W2K disk could you put all those pieces together into a working PC and get the OS installed on it without my help?

If the answer is 'YES' then just get a book and take the damned test already.
    If the answer is 'No' then an A+ class is a terrific introduction into such things.

20. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

so now the question would be what should I do with my a+ Im going on a interview next week for a call center but was wondering where I could get a more hands on job even if it pays crap.

21. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

A+ is all you need for most retail stores (to be a tech)

your next step would be more certifications really

22. England

England New Member

Some have been known to just use dumps

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I use exam works because it uses the same format and has the exact same answers and all the choices and all of the possible questions in one package.

24. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Yeah, uh, using a braindump is against every TOS there is when it comes to certifications. If they find out that you used one, they'll revoke your cert and ban you from taking a test by them again.

25. telc

telc OT Supporter

Can't see that happening unless you walked into the study center with the braindump printed out. :ugh2: