MMA Wandy wants Forrest

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

[​IMG]

"The Axe Murderer" Wanderlei Silva is looking to shift gears.

With the loss of Chuck Liddell, who was slated to fight Silva in UFC 79 this December 29, to Keith Jardine, the long-anticipated bout between the former UFC champion and the former PRIDE champion now looks to be all but canceled.

Silva now wants to revenge his former teammate's loss. Forrest Griffin, who brutally beat Mauricio "Shogun" in UFC 76 last month is Silva's new goal.

In an exclusive interview on the autumn special edition of Japanese MMA magazine "Kamipro", Silva expressed his desire to fight Forrest Griffin in his UFC debut. When asked about the possibility of fighting Jardine, Silva answered "I don't know about that yet. I want to fight Forrest Griffin instead of Keith Jardine."

Silva watched Mauricio "Shogun"'s fight against Griffin up close in the audience, and confident about his former teammate's win, expressed his shock on the upset Griffin pulled off.

"I thought Shogun would win for sure. I don't know what the problem was. Maybe he didn't prepare enough for the different aspects of the UFC." said Silva, and added "Shogun lost in front of my eyes. I will not let this go by. I want to fight for his revenge."

On Griffin, Silva commented: "He had good skills and was aggressive. A fight with me would be a good one."
    I came to challenge the UFC. I will show the power of PRIDE and Chute Boxe Academy."

Silva is currently preparing for his UFC debut in the US. He is training hard on conditioning and cage fighting in order to acclimate himself to the UFC's style.

Motivated by Shogun's loss, Silva said " The different round structure will definitely be an influence. I'm training to be able to move non-stop for three 5-minute rounds. If you want to win in the UFC, you can't train like you did in PRIDE."

He added, "I realized again that a new training regimen is necessary to win in the UFC." and vowed not to make the same mistake other PRIDE fighters made on December 28.

http://www.mfight.co.kr/news/viewbody_ex.php?code=mfight_board_news&number=6898

2. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

at least he acknowledged that training for the UFC is different than for PRIDE, and training in the US shows that he's already made that adjustment

still, i'm not gonna put money on him :o

3. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

He doesn't deserve to fight someone the caliber of Forrest Griffin. What has he accomplished so far in the UFC to warrant that? :hsugh:

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Wandy will break the streak of Pride losses.... .....and Forrest's jaw.

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

wandy may catch an illness or sustain an injury immediately before the fight

after all, he's brazilian :eek5:

6. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

:hs:

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Your being sarcastic....right?

8. Teh Awesome!

Teh Awesome! Guest

That's the same tune all you homos were singing before the Shogun fight.

ANd look how that turned out :rofl:

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

not worth quoting for those with him on IL

10. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

A little bit of sarcasm and serious.

Seriously what has he accomplished so far in the UFC? It seems apparent that what fighters accomplish in Pride doesn't exact translate to success in the UFC.

The ones that have had success are probably the ones that didn't juice in Pride.

11. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

WTF FFS. Anyone who's been following MMA for years still want this fight to happen. I don't care if both of them are washed up (which they're not). It'll be a travesty if this fight never happens, especially now that they're in the same fucking org! :mad:

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

. :wtc:

13. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

I for one, don't really care about watching fights with guys getting completely outclassed. Chuck would get destroyed, unless there is some huge upset that rivals GSP losing to Serra. Chuck Liddell, is the next Ken Shamrock. He's done now. He had his moment, and now he's been exposed. I'd be surprised if he will ever work his way back up to a title shot again.

14. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

next to fedor wandy is the only person who can walk in and get an immediate title shot and it be fair.. imo..

15. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Lots of people will flame you for posting that, but I dont disagree. I say give him a shot at Jackson for his first fight. Considering Wandy's track record with Rampage, I would love to see it happen.

16. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

again, this would be an issue with UFC not promoting and building up their fighters enough before big fights (i.e. rampage, hendo, etc.)

fortunately, wandy made a name for himself in the US before jumping into the fray, but still the casual fan doesn't know what wandy's capable of

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

from a business standpoint that would not be very wise.

EDIT: looks like someone beat me to it

18. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

:rofl:

While I agree that success in pride dosnt translate to success in the UFC, if anyone deserves a shot at a contender its wandy. He was one of the most dominant fighters of the last half dozen years.

19. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

I really dont want to see wanderlei lose to griffin. I'm not saying thats whats gonna happen, i just dont wanna see it. IMO Wandy should fight Tito and revenge his loss from back in the day, then get a Title shot. I wanna see tito get his ass beat and considering the history between Rampage and Silva..it should be a good test to see how much rampage has really improved.

Itll work out the same way it did for rampage, he came in avenged an old loss and then got a title shot because he had already beaten chuck before. The divison is much more stacked then it was then but Rampage REALLY got beatdown by Silva, twice, so i think it's pretty fair.

20. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

maybe chutebox should just steer clear of forrest lmao

21. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

true! i think wandy and fedor are the only names they can really just throw in there.. hendo is nasty but the casual fan probably wasn't impressed/entertained by that rampage fight..

22. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

IMO that is an unfair criticism. Either they're going to build up fighters like Roger Huerta and people rag on the fighter and the UFC for handing them easy fights, Mirko syndrome where the fighter loses to a can ala Herring and Cro Cop, or he jumps into a big fight and people ask "what has he done to warrant this fight?"

Give me a compelling fight, which I feel this is, and I'll watch it, forget "building up fights"

23. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i've mentioned Huerta as one the exceptions to the rule before because he brings in a large demographic to the UFC

i still stand by my statement though. UFC treats lots (not all) of their fighters as disposable

24. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

I don't know though, as long as I'm seeing compelling fights, I'm not sure I care if a fighter has had some can fights to be built up. Some guys have to prove themselves sure, they need to fight guys who are higher up than them.

If its Wandy vs Forrest I don't really care that it would be Wanderlei's first UFC fight. I think Forrest is now going to fight a guy whos as good if not better than the last guy he fought and if he won he'd get a title shot hands down.

However I feel that no matter what the UFC does they're gonna get bagged on for either not building up fighters, giving a fighter too many easy fights, or the fighter getting KTFO buy a can that he was supposed to beat.

25. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, i know. we're more educated than the average american fan though. we were initially excited when shogun, crocop, big nog, etc. came into the cage, whereas lots of other people had no clue who these foreigners were

also, given the shortcomings of PRIDE fighters transitioning from the ring to the cage, i'm starting to think it's essential to give them a can or two until they prove themselves and get their bearings straight :o