MMA Wanderlei Silva VS Vera to counter Affliction

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ITR06, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Anderson Silva VS James Irvin to counter Affliction V UPDATED WOAH!

I knew it was only matter of time before dana tries his best to make Affliction go bankrupt. Those faggots, i will definitly be ordering the affliction card no matter what though. If Affliction only had 1 good fight on the card i would just download it and watch it the next day but there is just way to many good fights :bowdown:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  2. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Brilliant move by the UFC.

I think I am watching Wanderlei instead of Affliction on the 19th.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Any links? I want to send the info to a friend.

4. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

UFC considering July 19 show to counter "Affliction: Banned"

by Dann Stupp on Jun 16, 2008 at 11:08 am ET
    The UFC has begun preparations to host a live fight event on Spike TV on July 19, the same night that the upstart Affliction promotion hosts its first pay-per-view event, Sherdog.com reports.

According to the report, the event could feature a light heavyweight main event between Wanderlei Silva and former heavyweight Brandon Vera, and it's expected to take place in Las Vegas.

A source close to the organization tells MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that this isn't the first time the UFC has considered countering one of its rivals' major shows.

Back in May, EliteXC, arguably the UFC's top competitor, became the first-ever MMA organization to air live on major U.S. network television. A main event of former bare-knuckle brawler Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and James Thompson was supplemented by a title fight between EliteXC middleweight champ Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith. The CBS broadcast peaked with 6.51 million viewers, topping previous ratings records held by the UFC and Spike TV.

According to the source, the UFC briefly explored the idea of putting together an event to counter "EliteXC: PRIMETIME," but many factors -- including already scheduled events on May 24 and June 5 -- prevented the May 31 show from taking place. The UFC and Spike TV ultimately countered EliteXC with pre-recorded programming geared around popular fighter Chuck Liddell, which held steady with 1.2 million to 1.6 million viewers throughout the night.

One thing worth noting is that with just a month of lead time, Spike TV would have a tall task in rearranging its programming and selling advertising for the event. The UFC and Spike TV would also need to negotiate a "fee" for the event since such programming isn't part of the standard UFC-Spike TV contract. UFC 75 (September 2007) and "Ortiz vs. Shamrock III: The Final Chapter" (October 2006) are examples of such speciality programs. And while the UFC and Spike TV have never publicly commented on the fee, it's believed to be anywhere from $2 million to $5 million per event.

If the UFC event does come to fruition, Affliction has reason to worry. The clothing company turned MMA promotion is reportedly banking on approximately 250,000 pay-per-view "buys" -- substantial numbers seen by the UFC (and UFC alone) in the U.S. Affliction headliner Fedor Emelianenko is an international superstar, but that status hasn't translated well to pay per view in the U.S. In fact, an April 2007 BodogFIGHT event that featured Emelianeno vs. Matt Lindland registered a lowly 13,000 "buys."

Additionally, the UFC has proven to be a hit on Spike TV. As mentioned above, the cable station can average more than a million viewers even with pre-recorded material. And live events, such as UFC 75 and Ortiz vs. Shamrock III, each peaked with nearly six million viewers. If the UFC produces an original event -- one that doesn't include a $40 pricetag -- it'll surely impact Affliction's pay-per-view numbers. Marketable stars such as Silva and Vera could make the hit that much harder.

In any manner, if and when the UFC confirms the event details, expect an announcement soon. Affliction has been promotings its event for nearly two months, and the UFC has just 33 days to make a push.

5. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I would still watch Fedor....I love to watch Wandy but its been so long since anybody has been able to watch Fedor.

6. dengar

You would and most hardcore fans would, but to the majority of the MMA audience they will be all over a free UFC card with fighters they recognize.

7. Sylva

Sylva New Member

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Truth. But I'll be watching Fedor and DVR'ing the UFC card FO SHO.

9. dengar

This is going to tank their PPV numbers.

You can't continue to put together huge cards like this if you aren't pulling in money off of the PPVs.

10. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

They need to get 250,000 ppv buys. That might have happened if UFC doesnt go right ahead with this. If they do put on an event Affliction is going to be fucked. 80% of ufc fans don't even know about the Affliction card. They really needed to wait and have Randy on the card to get the casual UFC fan talking about it. I think they are going to be in trouble.

11. dengar

Even without a UFC event that night I don't think they are going to do the PPV numbers they expect/need.

What fighter on that card is bringing in the casual fan?

12. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

i doubt they could get 250k ppv buys even w/o a ufc card on spike :mamoru:

13. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

Dana should hold a millionaire mania and give away cash on live tv

14. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

one month to throw together a card is a tall order, tho :noes: could easily backfire

15. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

They should have paid or made a deal with eliteXC to get some sort of advertising for the event when it was on CBS. If they had put together a 1 minute commercial with all the fights that 6.2 million saw it would have been well worth it.

16. dengar

Elite banned Affliction clothing. I doubt they would help promote their fight org.

17. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

oh right i forgot about that :rofl:

18. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:werd:

19. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

how did fedor's last ppv do in america? it was his fight against lindland, right?

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

13,000 ppv buys :coolugh:

21. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

First time buying PPV and it will be Affliction.

22. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

No

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i like both fighters too much to be excited for it.

24. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::rofl:

25. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

update