GUN Walther P22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Toonga, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Toonga

Toonga New Member

Any comments on this gun?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Yep. :ugh2:

This is cut and pasted from some comments I have made in the past about the P22:

I notice that a lot of people here have questions or comments about the Walther P22. Most stem from wanting to put a suppressor on one and some are just about reliabiltiy in general.

I thought I would take some time and chime in so I could maybe broaden your outlook towards the pistol and just give a little personal insight. Maybe after you get done, you can see if the P22 is a pistol you really want to go with or without...

I have a P22. Actually, I am on my 2nd. The first one had about 1200 rounds though it and then broke. What went wrong, I dunno; S&W didn't say when I sent it in. I just know the trigger pull went to about #35 and then just wouldn't go bang any more. Also, one of the white inserts in the rear sight fell out. Well, back to S&W it went for servicing. They replaced it because they said it was FUBAR. So, I got my new one, and guess what, not too great either.

The thing won't eat bulk ammo. The 550 count boxes are a thing of the past with a P22. The Rugers will eat that stuff all day long.

The P22 needs Velocitors, CCI Stingers, or other hot, expensive stuff. IMHO, I shoot a .22 because it is inexpensive. When I want to shoot a P22, it becomes expensive.

Well, I must say that I did find a cure. In an attempt to fix my P22, I filed down the hammer to smooth up cycling. The reason you need the hot stuff is because the slide has a problem cycling and depressing the hammer to cock it again. The cheap ammo isn't strong enough to give the gun a full cycle. Well, to fix this, I took some metal off the hammer. PROBLEM -- I removed a hair too much and turned the gun into a DOA pistol. I also cut one coil from the recoil spring. The gun worked better, and would even do better on bulk ammo, but the DOA pissed me off.

So, a call to S&W got me going again. $21 for a new hammer. I had to replace it myself with no instructions. I took the gun apart 100% and replaced the hammer. In doing so, I figured out exaclty how this thing worked. Indeed, the hammer spring is WAY too tight! I also noticed that the hammer hooks could use some buffing out to give a little bit of a better pull.

HERE IS WHERE YOUR PROBLEMS ARE COMING FROM: The hammer spring is TOO tight. The gun fires and bulk ammo doesn't have enough juice to cycle the slide back fully to eject a spent case or cycle a fresh round. You are getting half-cycles because the hammer spring is too tight. For a fix, lemme suggest this -- when your gun is not in use, leave it cocked in the safe. This will wear down that spring a little and make your gun work better in the long run. There is no point of that spring being that tight! Wear it down, and be able to shoot bulk ammo again!

Oh, and you may even need to open the chamber up just a hair. I noticed that with Winchester bulk ammo, the lead is exposed (no copper coating) and this can give the gun some feeding problems. To do this, disassemble and get a Dremel and a conical grinding stone and bump, and I mean bump the rough edges of the chamber. This will give more reliable feeding. If you don't have a Dremel, then just buy the stone and hand turn it yourself. It doesn't take much to fix this problem. But, running back over this with some polishing compound at high speed does help...

Good luck. Prayers are sent your way...

In an attempt to like my P22 again, I am about to toss a lot of money into the new camo frame, a Walther scope, a tactical scope mount, a 5" barrel, and sometime after Christmas, a suppressor. After all that gets done, I may be happy with it. If the suppressor doesn't work for the P22, I'll just thread my 10/22 I guess...

Update to previous posting: I got mine running right and did sink the money into the gun and could not be happier. Here is my gun now -- and it eats EVERYTHING!!!

[​IMG]

3. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

How are Browning Buckmarks? Will they eat bulk ammo?

4. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

i like mine, aside from the goofy defective saftey they all apparently come with.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Consider the Ruger Mark II's or the Ruger 22/45.

I have a 22/45 and it's a really nice gun. Eats the bulk ammo no problem and can be stripped down and put back together easily.

I used a friend's P22 and it gets a serious layer of lead built up in the barrel pretty quickly. I could barely fit my cleaning rod down it. I had to put my brush in by hand and keep soaking the gun in lead solvent. And then big chunks of shiny metal started coming out of the barrel. I thought I f'ed his barrel up but it was just a LOT of lead build up.

Other than that, I like his P22. Fun little gun to shoot and I'll probably end up with one in the future once I have some more money to blow. I really like .22LR guns b/c they're so cheap to shoot.

USMCsilver, sweet looking P22. What kind of groups can you get out of a P22?

6. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Friend of mine has a P22 5" that will run on ANYTHING. But I think your chances of getting one that eats anything, and one that doesn't run at all are about the same :)

7. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

S&W didn't say when I sent it in."

:hsugh: its a walther....

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Smith and Wesson distributes and handles Walther in the US

9. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Mine started doing that last time out. I fixed it with a few twists of a drill bit. :bigthumb:

10. 04

04 Guest

My friend sent his P22 in to get it serviced over a year ago and still hasnt got it back :hsugh:

11. Fook Yoo

Fook Yoo OT Supporter

did he sent it to S&W?turnaround time for me was only 2 weeks.mine had all kinda problems failure to eject,failure to extract,and mag release prob i guess its hit or miss with these p22.

12. oakie

oakie my ninja.

Browning Buckmark
    Ruger MkII
    Sig Sauer Mosquito
    Hammerli Trailside

all of the above would be your best bets in a reliable, semi-auto .22 handgun.

13. bulzeye

bulzeye Meatatarian

i just bought a walther p-22. well i get to pick it up next friday.

two of my friends have them and we shoot bulk ammo all day long. I read somewhere that in the last year they switched out the spring so you can shoot bulk and subsonic rounds through it without any problems.

USMCsilver how much did the 5 inch barrel cost you??

14. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

The barrel it self costs around 92$.

15. Toonga

Toonga New Member

Thanks, great replies:bigthumb:

16. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

Anyone ever use a Glock 22lr conversion?

17. attomica

attomica Active Member

I had a Browning Buckmark Bullseye and that thing was sweet. I could run any .22 ammo through it and never had a jam. It was a damn tack-driver right out of the box. I really wish I didn't sell it. I never see them around now. Now, I have a S&W Model 41. That gun is super sweet!

With regard to the P22, I think it's neat looking, but I'd never have one considering all the reliability issues I've read about. Plus, it's a tiny little thing. I almost can't hold it, my hands are too big.

18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Active Member

My Browning Buckmark Camper has ran every ammo I've put though it - and it's simple to break down.

19. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Thanks! It's been a while since I've had it out, but IIRC, I can cover a dime at 10 yards. I rarely shoot it so I really couldn't give an honest answer to anything beyond that.

20. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

21. attomica

attomica Active Member

Yep, had one of these with an Aimpoint...
    [​IMG]

And now have one of these.
    [​IMG]

22. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Jesus those are heavy. I held one and was like wtf.

23. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

:wtf: howd you do that?
    so far all i found on how to fix is this.... http://www.sju.edu/~bc165187/fixes.html
    and why the FUCK dosent walther offer to fix this or stop building them with this defect? anyone? Bueller..Bueller.....

24. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I'll take a pic of mine when I get home later tonight. I'll get the size of the drill bit as well. I didnt even need a drill. Basically I removed enough material from the slide for the ball bearing to completely seat.

25. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

that'd be sweet, me an some friends were just in your neck of the woods literaly found a real nice place to shoot right outside eugene. had a nice 100yd clearing easily accessible some where up above the rifle range.