GUN Walther P22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guz200sx, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I held one and its very light...I liked it a lot, fit my hand very well. I'm looking for a gun that I can use as my everyday gun when I get my permit. Any opinions on this?

[​IMG]

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

IMO a .22 is not a good choice for an everday carry gun, sure it will kill someone if need be but I wouldn't trust my life on it as a sole carry weapon. I'm gonna pick up a P22 in the next month or 2, it will be a nice mate for the gemtech outback that I submitted the paperwork for :love:

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

If you are going to use an everyday gun, I would get something bigger than a 22

4. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

And get something other than a Walther.

How small are your hands? I can't even hold it well cause the grips are so small.

5. Robb

Robb Guest

i have one, like it alot, has a few problems that need worked out, my hands are average size and it has a really good feel in my hand. If you do get it, it like hi-velocity ammo the best, i use stingers and it loves them.

6. Azn Bed Rocka

Azn Bed Rocka made from SCRATCH

anyone have one?? i took my apart to clean and its a PITA to put back together.... any tips ?

7. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

[​IMG]

This is cut and pasted from some comments I have made in the past about the P22:

I notice that a lot of people here have questions or comments about the Walther P22. Most stem from wanting to put a suppressor on one and some are just about reliabiltiy in general.

I thought I would take some time and chime in so I could maybe broaden your outlook towards the pistol and just give a little personal insight. Maybe after you get done, you can see if the P22 is a pistol you really want to go with or without...

I have a P22. Actually, I am on my 2nd. The first one had about 1200 rounds though it and then broke. What went wrong, I dunno; S&W didn't say when I sent it in. I just know the trigger pull went to about #35 and then just wouldn't go bang any more. Also, one of the white inserts in the rear sight fell out. Well, back to S&W it went for servicing. They replaced it because they said it was FUBAR. So, I got my new one, and guess what, not too great either.

The thing won't eat bulk ammo. The 550 count boxes are a thing of the past with a P22. The Rugers will eat that stuff all day long.

The P22 needs Velocitors, CCI Stingers, or other hot, expensive stuff. IMHO, I shoot a .22 because it is inexpensive. When I want to shoot a P22, it becomes expensive.

Well, I must say that I did find a cure. In an attempt to fix my P22, I filed down the hammer to smooth up cycling. The reason you need the hot stuff is because the slide has a problem cycling and depressing the hammer to cock it again. The cheap ammo isn't strong enough to give the gun a full cycle. Well, to fix this, I took some metal off the hammer. PROBLEM -- I removed a hair too much and turned the gun into a DOA pistol. I also cut one coil from the recoil spring. The gun worked better, and would even do better on bulk ammo, but the DOA pissed me off.

So, a call to S&W got me going again. $21 for a new hammer. I had to replace it myself with no instructions. I took the gun apart 100% and replaced the hammer. In doing so, I figured out exaclty how this thing worked. Indeed, the hammer spring is WAY too tight! I also noticed that the hammer hooks could use some buffing out to give a little bit of a better pull.

HERE IS WHERE YOUR PROBLEMS ARE COMING FROM: The hammer spring is TOO tight. The gun fires and bulk ammo doesn't have enough juice to cycle the slide back fully to eject a spent case or cycle a fresh round. You are getting half-cycles because the hammer spring is too tight. For a fix, lemme suggest this -- when your gun is not in use, leave it cocked in the safe. This will wear down that spring a little and make your gun work better in the long run. There is no point of that spring being that tight! Wear it down, and be able to shoot bulk ammo again!

Oh, and you may even need to open the chamber up just a hair. I noticed that with Winchester bulk ammo, the lead is exposed (no copper coating) and this can give the gun some feeding problems. To do this, disassemble and get a Dremel and a conical grinding stone and bump, and I mean bump the rough edges of the chamber. This will give more reliable feeding. If you don't have a Dremel, then just buy the stone and hand turn it yourself. It doesn't take much to fix this problem. But, running back over this with some polishing compound at high speed does help...

Good luck. Prayers are sent your way...

In an attempt to like my P22 again, I am about to toss a lot of money into the new camo frame, a Walther scope, a tactical scope mount, a 5" barrel, and sometime after Christmas, a suppressor. After all that gets done, I may be happy with it. If the suppressor doesn't work for the P22, I'll just thread my 10/22 I guess...

Update to previous posting: I got mine running right and did sink the money into the gun and could not be happier. It eats EVERYTHING!!!

8. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I had my P22 apart for about 3 days tinkering with it trying to figure out how to make it work better and soforth. The way the whole mechanism is made, over-engineered really, there is no way to cut, shave, trim anything. It is not a traditional coil spring as one would assume; more of a leaf. Anyhow, the only way to do it is to leave that sucker cocked and let it wear down a hair. After doing that, malfunctions are minimal.

11. Guz200sx

regular size hands I think. I liked the feel of it when I held it. I shot a Ruger the other day. Pretty cool.

http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/defense/defense-36.html

thanks for the link, it looks very cool. I would have to hold it and get a feel for it.

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Get the first run p99

13. Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister Putting the "fun" back into Dysfunctional.

If you like the P99, the S&W SW99 is pretty much the same gun (stylistic differences aside). Most sights will work with it, but anything for the equipment rail will not though. What Platinum_Thunder said about the P99 still applies with the SW99 though. The first run SW99 appears to be better made than current crop.

I've got a first run SW99 9mm and the compact version of the SW99 9mm. Love them both. Accurate as a SOB too.

14. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

a .22 for everyday carry? :ugh: Are you afraid of being mugged by a flock of birds or an angry squirrel?

15. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

A hit with a .22 > A miss with a .45

Dumb caliber whores.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

yeah and hit with a .45/9mm/.40/whatever >>>>>>>>>>>>>> a hit with a .22

I'm not a caliber whore, I dont even own a pistol, but carrying a .22 is just fucking retarded.

17. Guz200sx

What would you suggest then??

18. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

If you want a gun for defense DO NOT GET A .22 UNLESS THAT'S THE ONLY GUN AVAILABLE TO YOU.

Very few .22 pistols out there will go bang every time you pull the trigger and that's the most important feature in a defense pistol. Even well made .22 ammo is going to be more unreliable than just about any quality center fire ammo. .22 pistols are not made to take the constant abuse that daily carry will inflict on your pistol. Your choice of holsters will also be very limited.

I recommend you get a Glock 19.

I also recommend you get some defense training beyond the minimum that is required for your permit. Shooting 1000 rounds in two days at a good class will teach you a lot about how well your gun is going to hold up. It should also make you a better shooter.

19. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

knowing how to shoot > buying a caliber that's not meant for self defense because you're too stupid/lazy to learn how to properly shoot