GUN Walther G22 rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ooorah2111, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

What do you guys think about the Walther G22 rifle?

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Like, this might be typical gun shop/show prattle, so, with a grain of salt : I've heard the Beretta CX4 is better -- and cooler, but I dunno.

I'd buy an AR :big grin:

3. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Werd.

If you want an auto .22, go 10/22. You will never have a problem getting parts, especially to upgrade/mod.

But, I've never shot a G22. :o

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I like them because everyone has a 10/22 and they all look the same

5. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

Hm.. the Beretta CX4 does sound promising but it's a little bit more expensive. I don't know if its worth $650-$700 though.

6. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Like I said, I dunno....I still vote AR :nx:

7. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

Haha I hear you but I live in California and it's impossible to legally own an AR.

8. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

9. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

The after market is huge. You can make it look like what you want it to look like :o

10. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I live in California and I have 3 owned legally. :hs:

Like posted, http://calguns.net They have more than enough information on how to go about doing it.

But heres a preview:

First and foremost, there is a list of rifles that we simply CAN NOT OWN. There was a ban in California by MAKE AND MODEL of rifles and handguns. However you can own an AR in California. Manufactuers saw the market in California, so they made receivers for them. They are also known as OFF LIST LOWERS (OLL). These are legal in California because they are NOT on the banned list.

But here is the catch, we have characteristics that will also define an assault rifle, thus making it illegal. So as long as we do not meet those characteristics, we are in the clear. In "factory" form, the AR15 would be illegal. The law states:

A semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has the ability to accept detachable magazines AND one of the following:

1. pistol grip beneath the action
    2. thumbhole stock
    3. folding or telescope stock
    4. gernade launcher
    5. flash suppressor
    or
    6. forward grip.

So in "factory" forum, the AR15 is a semi-auto centerfire rifle that can accept a detachable magazine and #1, sometimes 3 and #5. Illegal in California.

So what people are doing to get around this law is getting rid of the ability to accept a detachable magazine. Once the ability to accept a detachable magazine is removed, you can have all of those features you want. OR some people get rid of the pistol grip and flash suppressor and use an A2 stock (non telescopic) and keep the detachable magazine.

-You can remove the ability to accept a detachable magazine by buying a mag-lock kit. This will keep the magazine locked into the lower. California law defines "ability to accept a detachable magazine" by being able to remove and insert a magazine without taking the receiver apart or using a tool. The lock kit will require the use of a tool to remove if ever you need to. You will then have to load your magazines like this: http://mynameiswillandthisismywebsite.com/ot/loading ar15.wmv

-You can buy alternative grips to replace the pistol grip. Since the grip is used to keep the safety functional, you cant just take and leave the grip off.

If you ever decide to go this route, give me a holler. I like seeing people with ARs here.

11. Crossett

Crossett New Member

I feel bad for all you CA guys :hs:

this is the biggest load of bullshit laws ever.

12. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Yeah buy everyone on OT at least picks the same stock and same optic.. :mamoru:

13. Murdoc

Murdoc New Member

I want someone to volunteer their 10/22 for the Mg42 modification, complete with videos, pictures, and a whole review, just for OT. Please?

But yeah, the G22.. If I had an extra 400 dollars laying around, and I had already purchased all the rifles I wanted, I'd pick up a G22 just for the hell of it.

14. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Hey...it looks good that way. :o

But my friend was looking at the G22, and it seemed like a hit or miss reading online reviews. I still think it looks like a goofy rifle.:hsugh:

15. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Yea, I felt like a puss having to type all that out. But pussified AR is better than no AR :o And I can always take it across the borders to another state and unpussify it. :o

16. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

Hey Will... if I decide to go with the AR route, roughly how much would i be spending?

17. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Lower - $110
    DOJ / Transfer fee - I paid $55
    Lower parts kit - $60
    Butt stock - $60
    Magazine - $20
    Mag lock - $20
    Completed Upper - ~$500 depending on what you want.

Aside from the lower, I got everything from the Equiptment Exchange on ar15.com

I got the lower from DD's Ranch, and transfered it through my FFL here. Its important to find a FFL that is willing to transfer a OLL for you, and not charge out the ass for it.

Then you have the joy of spending a couple hours putting the thing together and get a good sense of how it works.

18. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Where do you live btw?

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I can't help but read this thread and kind of scratch my head a little. A guy asks about a .22 rifle and people start suggesting 9mm carbines?

Anyway ask yourself what you're looking for. If you're just wanting a fun plinker the g22 is fine. You can't beat .22 for being able to go to the range and shoot all day. If you want a super accurate competition guy that you can put more parts into than your average honda you probably want a 10/22. if not just buy whatever looks fun and fits you. I dig the marlin 60 because its cheap which seems to go with what I want .22 for. If you want a pistol caliber rifle...well I think you're crazy ;)

20. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

I currently live in San Diego for college but I grew up in the San Jose area.

21. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

I see. My FFL is in Santa Clara. I dont know of any FFLs down there. But run a search on calguns.net. I am sure youll find one.

22. ooorah2111

ooorah2111 New Member

Can you describe your AR-15s? What did you have to change to make it legal in California? Fixed magazine? I think it is kind of gay to have a fixed magazine or not have a pistol grip on an AR-15.

23. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

From what I've read and seen most people either fix the magazine and use a pistol grip and all the other usual features, or they try and stay SB23 compliant by going gripless or using something like the monsterman style grip.

24. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I have been thinking about a CX4 in 9mm :o

25. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Did you read what I posted? Hope I didnt do that for nothing :(

But my AR has a fixed magazine. The biggest drawback is not having to load it by breaking the top open, but fixing double feeds. It is a bitch.