Wallpaper help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ElectricJW, Sep 5, 2005.

1. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

My wallpaper says, "WARNING: Your computer might be infected with spyware or adware." Then it has a link you can click on to buy a program to get it off. I'm not going to buy it, b/c I believe that they made that my wallpaper and the only way to get it off is to buy their product. So is there any other way to get it off? Usually when you right click the desktop and select properties, you can go to wallpaper and get it off, but since this has happened it doesn't have this option. Is there anything I can do to get this off w/out rebooting my OS??

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Oh yeah, I think I've seen this. Took me a while to fix on someone's personal PC. You'll need to run gpedit.msc as the spyware has changed your local policy to prevent you from making changes to the desktop.

Go to the Start Menu and choose Run. In the run box type gpedit.msc and hit enter. Navigate tpo Local Computer Policy \ User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Desktop . There are quite a few entries you will need to correct in order to re-enable wallpaper, active desktop etc.

There is also a registry entry it altered so that winlogon launches the spyware app instead of explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon look for the Shell key and change the value to Explorer.exe

Do the registry entry fix first and reboot. Otherwise it will probably just revert your policy settings.

Let me know if it works for you.

3. ElectricJW

What do I need to do to correct the entries??

4. ElectricJW

I tried to run gpedit.msc in the run box, but said that it couldn't be found. Now what?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I ran into this problem on a mahcine I worked on. To get it off your desktop, right click on an empty part of your desktop, go to properties, click on the Desktop tab, customize desktop, and then click the web tab. Uncheck the web page and then delete it.

Run a spyware scan to get rid of it.

6. Yep

Start - Run and type Regedit, then hit Enter.

7. Yep

Hmm, you must be on XP Home.

I'm can't remember where the registry settings are to change it manually. I'll take a look around.

8. Yep

Okay, download and extract this file http://www.scn64.com/uploads/upimages/gpedit.zip to your C:\I386 folder or C:\Windows folder.

Then try starting over from post #2. If that doesn't work try using regedit to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer ansee if there are any entries in there.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  9. ElectricJW

Ok, I did this and it works, now what??

10. Yep

Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon look for the Shell key and change the value to Explorer.exe

Then navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer and see if there are any entries in there.