Walking question.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Squally, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squally

Squally New Member

I was wondering how much walking would actually make a difference. I can't run anymore since my legs have had it, can't really ride my mountain bike since I'll get heatstroke, and I don't have an elipticle. I need to get some more cardio and get rid of my gut. Of course I'm starting to eat healthy again and do some moderate lifting, but I just want to know how much walking is actually worth anything.

2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

its better than nothing. maybe speed walking could be a little better?

sucks that you cant bike, jog, run, or even get on the elipticle. even more if your a cutting or cardio person.

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Calories burned running 2k = Calories burned walking 2k, it just takes longer.

4. ND379

ND379 New Member

80% of your diet has to be food.

walking for the other 20% is fine but can you lift any weights at all? also when i walk somtimes i will walk fast for a minute than slow for aminute and do that for about 30 minutes. i feel like i've had more of a workout than just walking for 30 minutes.

5. Poe

Poe What Would Johnny Cash Do? OT Supporter

Net calorie burn per mile (actual calorie burn minus basal metabolism):

Running: .63 x body weight
    Walking: .30 x body weight

6. Domestic Chik

Domestic Chik New Member

i have the same problem.. Cant run because of my ankle (injured when i was a kid hasnt been right since) and because of my hips which i had operations on.

I just baught a treadmill last week and i've been working my self at 15 minutes 3 times a day getting my legs used to it.

I wondered myself if just using a treadmill will work.. along with eating right.

7. supraholic

supraholic lives to ride

You should look into therapy and strength training for your injuries. Don't resign yourself to not being able to do certain activities. The problems can most likely be corrected with proper training.

8. ralyks

ralyks New Member

To expand on this... walking takes more time, so there's more basal metabolism to subtract, resulting in "lower calorie burned per mile". AFAIK calories burned walking = calories burned running for the same distance, maybe someone can back me up or contradict me here.

9. Poe

Poe What Would Johnny Cash Do? OT Supporter

A lot of people think that running = walking when it comes to calories/mile, because of Newton's laws of motion, but a recent study done at Syracuse University actually measured the burn on several subjects and concluded that running does burn more calories due to the force of your bodyweight coming down on each foot during each takeoff and landing.

Here are the numbers:

Total Calories/Mile
    Running: .75 x body weight
    Walking: .53 x body weight

Net Calories/Mile
    Running .63 x body weight
    Walking .30 x body weight

10. Squally

Squally New Member

Thanks for the response, this forum never lets me down. As far as lifting weights goes, yea I can lift, I'm still strong and I'm not fat, just a little overweight. I figure that I can do a moderate jog until I start to feel some discomfort and then drop down to a brisk walk. Thanks again guys :bigthumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.