Walk The Line

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by deznutz, Mar 1, 2006.

1. deznutz

deznutz New Member

IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

So i just bought the movie at Wal-mart today, saw it for the first time, and all i can say is...i should have seen this movie in the theaters! It was EXCELLENT! At first i thought they would use actual songs played by Cash but Joaquin Phoenix and Reeese Witherspoon actually do the singing in the movie. Phoenix does A REAL GOOD job of doing Cash, its crazy! But the movie was good all the way through, possibly one of the best movies ive seen this whole year. All the acting was superb.

2. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

agreed, its on the top of my list for best movies of the year.

they actually did their own singing/playing and released a record.

3. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

I watched the film with my parent's (mid-50's) and I knew a few songs by Cash.

I asked them how they liked it first and foremost (they gre up during his popularity) and they said that they liked it, but the singing was iffy.

Personally, Joaquin's acting was good and the songs were decent. His on-stage movements of Cash (head movements near the mic, holding the guitar straight-armed like a gun, etc.)were dead-on. I didn't listen to much June Carter stuff, so I couldn't base an opinion on her performance.

4. majecal1

majecal1 New Member

oscars this sunday

5. Kloster Island

Kloster Island New Member

My husband I watched this movie (me, for about the 50th time) on Friday night. Andrew (our 6 year old) sat with us for about the last half and LOVED IT! I think that's so funny! What I find AMAZINGLY intelligent, is that when "Johnny Cash"/"Joaquin Phoenix" sings "Ring of Fire" Andrew said "That's what he did!" I asked him what he meant. Now keep in mind, Andrew just turned 6 in April so we had a lot of explaining of drug addiction and alcohol abuse that we tried to make as elementary as possible like taking too much medicine, taking medicine from Walgreen's window (which is what Andrew calls the pharmacy) that a doctor didn't tell you to take, drinking too many daddy drinks (which is how we keep Andrew from drinking from Steve's Black Russian glass), etc. If you haven't seen the movie there are scenes where "Johnny Cash" is falling down drunk, a scene where he's WAY over "medicated", etc. Andrew said "That's what he did. When he fell down he was in a ring of fire from too much medicine and every time he had too much medicine the fire got bigger". I found that SO GOOD for him to get that analogy from that song! Ah, my brilliant boy!

We watched Johnny Cash in San Quentin on CMT last night...we're not big country fans but we love Johnny Cash and happened upon this show (and 2 others) on fluke this week. Annnnnyway, we're watched this...if you've seen the movie you'll remember that Cash singing in San Quentin is towards the end of the movie. I love the movie but I have to say that if you're going to make a biographical movie and there's film of the real event...don't change it! He doesn't say anything about the water being yellow, he doesn't break a glass, June Carter is in a different color and style dress, he doesn't even open with the same song...they should have based that scene off of the actual film. IMO.