MIL waiver for a heart murmur

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by IsayHELLA, Apr 28, 2006.

1. IsayHELLA

IsayHELLA CBS cares

I'm interesting in joining the Navy (possibly Reserves) and I was wondering if it is unheard of to get a waiver for a heart murmur?

I talked to a recruiter awhile back and he hinted at just not telling anyone, or possibly getting it fixed.

I wouldn't have a problem with it "slipping my mind" because it doesnt effect my everyday life other than the fact i have to take antibiotics before any dental work. I would much prefer to have everything legit when i join though.

any comments would be awesome

2. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

If it is current, it is a disqualifing factor. if you have no medical history of it then you may be able to get away with it. However if it is a noticable murmur then you will get found out at MEPS or at your first unit physical. You do not want to join and get through the tough shit only to get sent home at your first unit.

3. IsayHELLA

IsayHELLA CBS cares

Thanks and you're right, that would suck. As I said, the only way it effects me is the antibiotics before any dental work. I've been cleared to play sports my whole life, im in great shape, etc. I have a feeling it wont fly though, as it is current and can be heard using a stethoscope. :sadwavey:

4. IsayHELLA

IsayHELLA CBS cares

Oh and its technically a VSD (ventricular septal defect), which is similar to a murmur.

just found this from an Army OCS Fact sheet: (don't know if the Navy is different)

"A VSD is a heart condition characterized by a hole between the two ventrical heart chambers. Blood will improperly flow from one chamber to another chamber between and during heart beats. This can be life-threatening. Most patients with a VSD will undergo heart surgery to correct this condition. The surgery is successful in most cases and can be waived if the echocardiogram is normal."

My condition is most definitely NOT life threatening, but maybe I should have it fixed. I never did before because my doc said I didnt need to and I was under the impression any form of heart surgery was a disqualifier.

5. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

if you goto MEPS and pretend everything is ok, then during their exams they find a problem AND you have it in your medical records, you are fucked. people get away with shit like broken bones and illnesses all the time because they were not properly documented.

the military does not want to recieve damaged goods, only to have to pay for complications down the line they did not create.