A&P Waiting for the USPS man to arrive...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ftslogger, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

I bought this :noes:

7ft Lightstand
    [​IMG]

Swivel Flash Mount head with Umbrella holder
    [​IMG]

and Wescott Umbrella
    [​IMG]

Now that I have my wireless triggers, and now one stand with umbrella, I am looking forward to softer light, and better off camera flash pictures...time to get practicing. I might end up with a SU800 before its all over...but that will come after my camera body. :hs:

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

the strobist is strong in this one.

3. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

yeah I really am digging the off camera thing. Although, I shoot 90% of my wedding pictures on camera. :o

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

strobist !

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I can't figure out why nobody comes to OTAP anymore.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i know why. this place is as bad as all the other photography sites

7. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

I don't even bother to post any of my stuff on the Nikon forums I am on...they are just as bad. FM or the others are horrid. :dunno:

My ultimate goal is to learn the dynamics of light, especially off camera light. It will help my wedding reception pictures have more life, and I don't want to get stuck in a rut taking the same "type" of picture. :hs:

8. CRC

CRC New Member

photography on the internet is horrible

9. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Not even remotely close. Seriously, have you READ the DPR or FM forums lately? Fucking hell they suck.

All photography discussion on the internet seem to revolve around two things: The latest fad technique (see rant) or endless spec measurebating.

Discussion about the fad techniques is bullshit because the technique is either something that has been around since the photographic stone age and someone (for example) just figured out that moving a flash OFF the camera yields pleasing results and decided to made a blog about it....

OR

The techniques are being poorly applied to images so bad it makes people with even the slightest interest in aesthetics go all queasy in the stomach. Either way it's really hard to take those topics seriously.

We all know why the measurebating is bad.

But let me ask you a serious question: In a thread like this one, what response do you guys expect? "Hey, congrats on the light stand!"? Seriously, I don't get it. I'm not trying to be a dick (even though I know I am) but the threads that turn into off topic douche-fests just don't seem to have a clear point. Why post pictures OF your gear when you could posts pictures WITH your gear?

10. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

First off, I don't have the gear in hand. When I do, expect pictures with me using it. I am not measurebating, or showing off new shiny gear that won't get used...I am excited about my new purchases, and was bored on OT tonight. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

<lurk mode>

11. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Sorry, don't take it the wrong way. I'm glad you're getting new gear to use and experiment with, but wouldn't it be more interesting - and beneficial - to talk about what you can or will do with it rather than posting a pic of it?

What are you going to shoot? How do you plan to shoot it? Why did you buy the stuff to begin with? What have you shot in the past? What stuff are you trying to learn? What have you had problems with? What has worked out well?

There's a lot of potential topics to talk about...

12. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

Okay, lets approach this differently. I am buying the umbrella, stand and head for the sole purpose of giving me better light in dark recption areas where one strobe does not cut it, and for bridal portraits. I generally prefer the softer diffused light from either camera right or left to bring out natural skin tones, etc instead of harsh shadows, espically when doing family portraits at the church altar.

I want to make better pictures with more even light, and impress the clients with great memorable shots. I am not David Jay, but do like his sytle of shooting.

My main concern is that my friend that I shoot alot with is definately in a rut, and I don't want to fall into that rut, not looking for new ways to make new memories.

13. hash browns

the umbrella isn't a light source on it's own, the flash head is.

the umbrella as a shoot through or reflective light modifier only makes the light source appear bigger relative to nearby subjects. this is why it will help create softer, more diffused light.

you could always use a collapsable reflector with an assistant to create a similar effect, bouncing the flash off of it, or bounce the flash off of a wall

put the collapsable reflector onto a boom arm and stand, behind and over you with the flash head rotated back 180 degrees to reflect off of it...

14. hash browns

the strobist formula is not the only way

15. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

Yes, I know about the reflector and its properties. I have been using some white foam board as a reflector when I have been playing around.

You can use a white piece of paper to diffuse light as well from the the flash head. The umbrella is just another tool.

16. Beeno

Beeno New Member

you can stand under my umbur ella ella ella

17. jj1814

jj1814 New Member

only big-head rhianna can turn a 3-syllable word into 4

18. CRC

CRC New Member

i will never post about the new equipment I just bought :wtc:

19. CRC

CRC New Member

Link to suckage? I'd like to read :o