Wait or pull the trigger on upgrading to the new Unibody 17"? Also, need help selling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Unknown User, May 8, 2009.

  1. Unknown User

    Unknown User New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Messages:
    10,616
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    In Your Mind
    I have an early 2008 17" that I love, but thinking of getting the new unibody model. I want the Snow Leopard version, but not sure exactly when that's coming out.

    Also, need some help pricing out my current Early 2008 17" 2.5GHz. Here's what I have:

    - Excellent condition (I'm very anal about this)
    - 4GB of RAM
    - 320GB 7200 Western Digital Black HDD
    - Restore Discs
    - 2.5GHz Dual Core Processor
    - DVD+-RW+-DL Drive
    - Applecare until Feb. 2011.

    Other than that, just the regular stuff.
     
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. bowrofl

    bowrofl New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    Messages:
    6,555
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Toronto, Canadia
    Honestly... why?
    I don't see any reason why you should upgrade if your laptop is barely a year old, and, as you say, in excellent condition with very nice specs... but hey, if you're made of money, go for it.
     
  3. Unknown User

    Unknown User New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Messages:
    10,616
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    In Your Mind
    I had a 15" unibody with the LED back screen. Comparing this laptop to the LED based one, I really enjoyed the LED based screen.

    Also, it would be nice to eventually upgrade to 8GB of RAM.
     
  4. hsmith

    hsmith OT Supporter

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2002
    Messages:
    124,533
    Likes Received:
    596
    Location:
    Your mother.
    i love mine
     
  5. bowrofl

    bowrofl New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    Messages:
    6,555
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Toronto, Canadia
    I hear something may be going down in June with the MacBooks & MacBook Pros, and even possible price drops, so I would wait at least until then to see if anything goes down, then go for it.
     
  6. Raider007

    Raider007 om nom nom nom

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2002
    Messages:
    17,987
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Bay Area
    Im going to guess that Snow Leopard will be out after June but before the end of August (back to school)... along with any hardware updates so if you can wait till then...
     
  7. tomohr

    tomohr look again! OT Supporter

    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Messages:
    2,397
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Not Chicago, IL
    You can get snow leopard pretty cheap. It's not an arm and a leg like windows. Unless you are buying it cause it is so pretty, I would just update the os when it comes out.
     
  8. CyberBullets

    CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2001
    Messages:
    11,865
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    BC, Canada/Stockholm, Sweden
    Apple products and their rumor mills.... Just buy it now. You can hold out forever for what may, or may not happen.
     
  9. BlazinBlazer Guy

    BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Messages:
    18,783
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Lansing, MI USA
    I'm waiting on this one myself as well; I currently have a black macbook, but I plan to upgrade to a pro once snow leopard comes out, kill two birds with one stone. In your case I'd suggest doing the same.
     
  10. Dysfnctnl85

    Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2004
    Messages:
    3,064
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I would at least wait until WWDC - it's only a few weeks away.
     

Share This Page