w2k system hangs - help =(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Playboy, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

Recently, windows 2000 has just frozen in its tracks. Whether I watch a video on winmedia9, the matrix screensaver kicks in, or more commonly, when NAV runs its scans, it hangs.

It seems like something is overbuffering the available memory but what?

it would hang on certain subdirs but after excluding those folders, it'd do so somewhere else. i decided to monitor via task manager and this is what i got when the system locked up:

subdir currently scanning:
    c:\winnt|driver cache\i386

task manager:

commit charge

total 200072
    limit 436256
    peak 239400

physical memory

total 261616
    avail 99324
    sys cache 199004

kernel mem

total 70676
    paged 57608
    nonpaged 13068

------------------------i have no idea why cpu usage would spike to 100% and go "beyond" to freeze up. i mean previously it'd spike but drop to a regular 40% cycle.

Anyone got ideas? This sucks :(

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

ah, the good old w2k-freezes-for-no-reason thing. this is usually pretty hard to debug.

does it only happen if you have cpu intensive apps running (i.e. does it NOT happen if you're just idling on the desktop?)

i wonder if it's a temperature issue? i.e. cpu load -> higher temp -> pushing your cpu over the temp limit where it hangs up? if you don't want to buy a better cpu fan, try openning the case and blowing a room fan onto your mobo while you perform these tasks which normally freeze.

:dunno: sorry

3. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

If anything, my heat sink "broke" off but i put it securedly back on.

The fans are running alright, detect no overheat. Could it be the outside heat? and the heat in my room? I Have a fan running all the time.

Anyways, no cpu-intensive apps were used. I actually left it on last nite to see what would happen. The screensaver kicked in and my winamp was playing. At some point in the night, cpu usage spiked to 100% and beyond and froze with the screensaver in the background.

This sucks :(