GUN w00t!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PanzerAce, May 8, 2007.

1. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:x: in for CA law change of the following:

be able to build an AR without worrying about evil features
    standard capacity magazines

5. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I have a feeling that if the Supreme Court does decide to hear it (which I don't think it will) it won't be a definitive decision like many of us hope. I would think that it would be more of a delegation of powers to state or even local governments.

It certainly won't be a total rejection of of Miller, because the Court has always held that the Gov't has a legitimate interest in at least some form of regulation of all sorts of aspects of daily life. However, based on the current makeup of the court, now is as good a chance as any for this case to be brought. The majority of the current court would tend to lean on originalism and historic meanings of the 2nd more than many previous or possible future courts, which would lead to an individual ownership stance, but I doubt any decision would be a clearly defined in terms of concealed carry or what specifically should be allowed or prohibited. It would be nice if Rehnquist was still on the bench, as Alito and Roberts don't have clear or reliable enough record on constitutional voting patterns, in my opinion.

That said, its extremely naive to think the 2nd refers to a state right. Amendments to the constitution rarely define rights of the state, and the Bill of Rights most especially applies to individuals exclusively. It is also well-known that the Framers largely considered individual gun ownership to be a foundation of American society. Combined with the fact that an argument in favor of gun ownership is derived from the IV and XIV Amendments in the form of privacy, due process, and the interest of self-preservation.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'll grab the most important part of it for here :big grin:

Incorporation is a real fucker, but it would still be a step in the right direction.