w00t! No more spam!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

So, my ISP recently started filtering spam. However, they don't mark the messages deleted, they either delete them entirely or leave them in your box with a tag in the subject line indicating it's spam. I like the latter option, so I can check and make sure it actually is spam. So, I setup my mail client with a filter to delete these messages. However, my panel applet that checks my mail for me doesn't filter them.

So, I wrote a little script to do the filtering for me. It works perfectly, and I'm very proud of myself :big grin:

BTW, if anyone else wants the script, I'm going to make it fit for public consumption this weekend, and I'll post it up here for sure.

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

What are you using to fetch your email? I've got Mozilla and Thunderbird setup to filter as the spam comes in...

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

:werd: Thunderbird's adaptive filter is great.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I use Mulberry. I can setup filters in it (and have done so in the past), but like I said, I have a Gnome panel applet that checks my mail, and it doesn't filter, hence the need for my program. The way it's setup now, if I get only spam it doesn't show that I have new mail.