w00t! New Computer!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

So, about a month ago I ordered parts for a new computer from canadacomputers.com. I've had great experience with them in the past and was happy to order from them again. However, after a month of waiting, calling, finding out about problems with stock, shipping, and mysteriously cancelling orders, I decided fuck them. So, today I went over to my local cheap computer stuff place (there is one now!!!) and priced out things. It ended up being less than a hundred bucks more expensive than ordering online, so I went for it :big grin:

I'll post final specs and pics on Thursday when I build (gotta go pick up the mobo then and I don't have time till then anyway). :bigthumb:

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Looking forward to seeing specs!

Glad to hear it's not a mac. :x::eek3:

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

In for pics!

4. Penguin Man

Specs, pics to come later (probably Thursday when I put it together, but maybe sooner):

Case: $89 non-brand-name case, came with 350W power supply, 2 case fans on the side, and has front USB and sound, so I'm happy. Also nice looking and has drive covers to cover up my ugly beige drives ;)

Mobo: ASUS A7N8X (on-board LAN and sound.... should be awesome, with any luck it'll work with Linux)

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, stock heatsink/fan for now, might get a Thermaltake one at some point if I get into the overclocking.

RAM: 512MB Kingston PC3200... I'll get another 512 at some point, but this is fine for now.

Video Card: MSI GeForce4 FX5200... Looks pretty awesome with the heatsink and fan on it, I almost wish I had a case with a window.

Hard Drives: 40GB Maxtor, 7200 RPM and old 3.2GB (current Windows drive) for MP3's.

Optical Drives: LG 52x CD-ROM and my Sony 52x24x52 CD-RW

Floppy Drive :o

I think that's all of it...

5. Darkwind

Darkwind Guest

kool, wat was the exact price ?

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

7. Penguin Man

$966 plus tax = $1034. That includes a 2-way KVM switch and two 6-foot KVM cables so I can share my keyboard/monitor/mouse between the new machine and the old machine (which will be the Windows machine), which was about $80 plus tax.

8. DatacomGuy

In for pics as well.

9. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

Are there different grades of KVM switches, if so what is a model that "just works" and isn't too expensive? I'm thinking of getting one to do the exact same thing.

10. Penguin Man

I have no idea what the difference is between the different ones. I bought the basic cheap one, manual switch, beige box, no builtin cables or anything. It was like 25 bucks Canadian plus $50 for two six-foot KVM cables. Seems to be pretty sturdy and it should work fine. Linksys makes some fancy ones that are built into the cables, they're more expensive, but they take up no space at all (they're switched by a button on the cables).

11. The Bastard

The Bastard Guest

CC sells the linksys 2port switch for $53 checked yesterday. You ended up paying more.

12. DatacomGuy

13. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Nice. You saved money and don't have to wait for shipping. :cool:

14. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

15. Penguin Man

The manual one ended up not working, so I returned it and got the Linksys one at CompuSmart for $70.

And when I boot up it says I have a 3200+, not a 2500+... Think this means they put the wrong one in the box at the factory? :eek3:

16. DatacomGuy

BIOS set right?

17. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Could be overclocked. Idunno how though if it's new and you didn't touch anything...

18. DatacomGuy

I don't know much about overclocking... so I may be wrong here..

But isn't this machine being built from scratch, so in turn, he'd have to overclock it in the BIOS himself. Isn't overclocking information stored in BIOS, and not physically in the processor?

19. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

Yeah. When you overclock your processor (say 2500+), when you boot up, it would say 3200+. Idunno why his says that. The FSB must be set at 3200+ speeds in the BIOS. But idunno how that would happen if he didn't touch anything... weird.
    If he got a 3200+ chip by accident, that would be fawkin sweet!!! :big grin:

20. DatacomGuy

Sure would. I've heard of that before, and then I've known someone who ordered a 1.4 and got a 1.2 and the company claimed that that was unpossible. :eek3::bash:

21. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

No pics yet? :wtc:

22. Penguin Man

I'll have pics tonight, but they'll be crappy due to the crappiness of my digicam ;)

As for the processor, I really don't know... I have it set at 200Mhz clock speed and 11x multiplier, making 2200Mhz. But if it was just overclocked, wouldn't it still say 2500+ running at whatever speed? Maybe I'll experiment with turning it down and see if it changes :dunno:

23. Penguin Man

Figured out the processor thing, I was overclocking it without realizing (clock speed for 2500+ is supposed to be 166 and if I set it to that it says 2500+). However, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2500+ only supposed to support 333 FSB and not 400? Oh well, I'm perfectly happy with my machine overclocked, although we'll see how it runs, doesn't seem to be running hot, but I haven't really let it run for long.

24. M4A1

M4A1 :)

Sounds nice! I'm jealous though :wtc:

25. pummer

pummer New Member

if it overclocks to that speed that would be amazing, but my guess is it'll be EXTREMELY hot if not unstable.