W-T-F display problem with my 17" MBP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbman96, Feb 15, 2008.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

OK, this started within a few minutes of applying the 10.5.2 update and subsequent graphics patch. It went away after I restarted, then came back; then went away after I disconnected power and battery... then came back. Now it seems to be here to stay.

External display works just fine, but the MBP display looks like this:

[​IMG]

I hesitate to blame the graphics update since this really LOOKS more like a hardware problem, but I thought it was notable since it literally happened moments after I restarted it once the updates were finished.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

genius bar. i'd say it is a hardware issue. my friend did claim that his system runs hotter since putting on 10.5.2 patch, so maybe you have an issue with a bad solder connection that just went.

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

yeah, unfortunately I'm just outside of warranty, and they'll charge me a shitload to repair it unless I can blame it on the update.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

yeah just tell them it started happening right after the graphics update. i'd call asap

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Yeah, the guy on phone support kept making me reset the PRAM over and over again and surprisingly enough it didn't work!

But he did give me a support ticket and forward me to the Genius bar with notes to the effect of "video failure caused by update"