VxVM question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, May 2, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Quick question, if a plex has been disassociated, is it possible to remove it to free up the disk space or can that only be done when you are disassociating it?

# vxplex -g diskgroup -o rm dis plex-01
    VxVM vxplex ERROR V-5-1-830 Plex plex-01 is not associated

I know if I run that command while it is associated as a mirror, it'll allow me to disassociate and remove in one command, but now that someone else just disassociated the plex I can't seem to figure out how to remove it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found that I can by using vxedit instead of vxplex. Man, I miss HP's LVM sometimes. :)

2. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Yes vxedit is almost always where you want to go. I'm not sure I've ever actually had to use vxplex before, mostly just vxdg, vxdisk, vxedit, and vxassist should be able to do just about anything.

HP's LVM is certainly nice, way nicer than Linux LVM for sure. Not sure its better than VxVM, just different.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Is HP's LVM the same as Tru64's LSM, which was the same as Veritas with s/vx/vol/g commands?

Vxedit is what you need to use, but you already found that....

4. Mike99TA

HP's LVM feels just like Linux LVM, except its far more robust.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

It isn't that I think LVM is better because in many ways it is much worse (ever define an extent size that was too small and find you aren't able to use the storage you've assigned?). It is just where I started and it makes much more sense to me.

Put disks in a volume group, create logical volumes on volume groups, create filesystems on logical volumes. Done. The terminology makes sense. None of this plex and subdisk BS. :p

6. Mike99TA

I've been using storage foundation for a long time and I've never had to worried about plexes and subdisks - SF handles it automatically unless you really want to modify it which I've never needed or wanted to.. Its just an option you have that LVM doesn't completely give you.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i guess it is just something that has always confused me.

on a side note, do you guys run vxstat over time for statistics? we're running into some major disk performance issues and i want to watch performance over the weekend. do you have a script that your normally use or do you just run vxstat right from cron? or do you just run vxstat from a shell and redirect the output? for example, do you see any issue with me running this from a shell?
    vxstat -i 600 -c 432 -g diskgroup > vxstat.out

i'm figuring that'll be grabbing stats on a 10min interval from now until Monday.

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i mainly use vxstat to redirect output and i then convert the data to daily ps/pdf graphs.

there's vxfsstat as well.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

When reusing luns from one host (hostA) to another (hostB), do you ever get luns that are not fully sized?

I have a bunch of luns that i decommissioned from hostA, I just removed the plex from the mirror and vxdg rmdisk and vxdisk rm the luns. When I present a bunch to HostB, veritas thinks there still space being used.

i tried vxdiskunsetup -C
    putting on a new label

Anything else I should try?

note, these are all solaris hosts.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

are you trying to save any data? if not, i usually go into format and wipe out all of the slices so only slice 2 is left (on VTOC labels at least). then i reinitialize it within VxVM.

11. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

No, no need to save data. Hmm, how do wipe out the partitions? I must be doing something wrong....

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i just run format, select the disk in question, go into p for partitions, hit p again just for shits and giggles. anything that has a value (other than 2 if it is a disk less than 1Tb) is a slice that needs clearing out. now, in most disks setup for VxVM you should find just slices 3 and 4 used. anyway, hit the number of the first non-empty slice. i forget the order, but i think it wants a name first, then some options. it doesn't matter what you put for the name and i think you should just put wm for the options. for first cylinder put 0 for number of cylinders put 0c. after that it should take you back where you can type p to print your slices again. you should see that slice empty now. repeat for all except 2 which needs to be your full drive (again, assuming a disk less than 1Tb). i don't remember if you have to do a label when you are done or if it is saved automatically. if it doesn't save after you quit, just repeat it and choose to label it before you quit.
    now, it should just appear in VxVM, but with online error or something like that. now you can reinitialize it.

13. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

something really strange is going on. i was in at work this morning for our quarterly patching and while waiting for the 10_recommended to go though, i went back to this machine and the luns show the full size, while i or no one has done a single thing to the machine. strange....