VW TDI owners

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by boostdemon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. boostdemon

boostdemon New Member

what are you impressions of the motor? power? mpg? Which ones the best :wavey:

2. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

I would go for the newer 2.0 TDI versus the old 1.9 lump. More power, more torque, smoother ride. You can get it in the B5.5 Passat and all the newer cars (B6 'ssat, Mk5 Jetta)

3. hewmanbing

hewmanbing your mom is hot.

but the newer PD engines don't get the fuel mileage that the previous gen did... due to emissions

4. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Just bought a 2003 TDI Jetta manual. (2004 was the first PD engine). Both my buddy and I bought the Diesel Power box within weeks of each other. Have yet to race. His is an automatic. (6 speed?)

Stock, the car was really a dog from 0 to 60 or so. That really isn't the reason I bought it. I drove it 75 - 80% in the city, with the AC on 100% of the time (have had it for 7 weeks, 3 of it was in the body shop getting the rear fixed after a nasty rear ender.). I filled up once "with the button" and pumped in 55L. I got just over 1000 kms that tank. Normally I'm putting in 43 to 48L, and doing an average of 850 - 920 kms. Again, all city, 100% of the time the AC is on. I love the car. I have dealt with the extra noise of hte diesel at idle when I'm outside the car, but inside you can't really tell.

Maintenance is a BREEZE. Just do your timing belt. I'm no expert yet on the PD motor, but I know to mod the engine the 1.9L is cheaper. The 1.9L has one injector pump, whereas the PD motor has a pump on each injector. This makes for $900 each (dealer cost CDN) injectors. I can just imagine what the after market ones are. I can get a set of injectors for my 1.9L for $150 CDN.

Here is the fun part. I put in the diesel box, and wired it to the MAF for the signal wire. I can say HOT DAMN, the fuggin' little car in 2nd and 3rd gear from 2000 RPM to 3500 RPM pulled like a raped ape. I SIMPLY could NOT believe it. I set it on 30% increase in HP and TQ right away. Fuck the other two settings.

My MAF has a dead spot, so the car felt like it had a HUGE flat spot at 1700 - 2000 RPM. It made for a very jurky ride if you hang in that RPM. I wired (holy sound deadening German mfgs!) the control wire for the diesel box to the accel. pedal (electronic no surprise) and the car was a LOT better to driver and smoother too. (wife's comments). Car still felt fast, but not as in the face. I am actually going to do testing on a dyno to find out whether the car has the same HP and TQ controlling the diesel box both ways.

I beat the shit out of the car when I first got the diesel box. I mean WOT every chance for 2 weeks. Both tanks of gas (45L or so) got me 725 kms.
    I have gone back to "regular" driving, and shifting at 1700 RPM or so and looks to get about 850 to 900... (or like the box wasn't there).

She smokes.... ;) It is fun, but I don't give a shit.

You will be happy either engine you get. From light reading (if you like technical info, like me, tdiclub.com is your place), the 1.9L is far more forgiving to new diesel regulations and will run on nearly anything. The PD engine, is a LOT less forgiving and may be issues with diesel down the road and the performance.

5. dr.zed

To clarify... my dealer told me when I bought the car to do an air filter every two oil changes. That is an air filter every 30,000 kms. Apparently, the dirty ones hurt the MAFs. Filters work better dirty, so I don't understand... oh well.

The 1.9L are using right now Castrol 5w40. This is an off the shelf oil.

Drain the water separator every 16,000 kms, and replace it (easy) every 30,000 kms. Oil changes every 16,000 kms. Filters are dead easy to replace.

Have just done on my buddies 2006 TDI, oil change including filter, and fuel filter change. Easy. Mine in a few weeks.

6. hewmanbing

sweet.. I just did an oil and filter change but didn't do the water drain and fuel filter.. gotta do those! I just got the car, and I'm lovin' it!!

7. hewmanbing

what's the diesel power box!?!? is that something you can just buy and install, or do you have to do a tune with that like a chip?

8. dr.zed

There are two "easy" ways to gain power with the TDI when it comes to tuning. www.dieseltuning.com, sells a box that plugs inline with your injector pump, and a signal wires is attached to the MAF (or throttle pedal). You then choose 10, 20 or 30% increase. The diesel tuning box has been used in hundreds of thousands of TDIs over the world with safe results, according to the company. This is the reason I went with them. The company is located in Europe and sells through dealers in NA. This box increases timing and adds fuel. That is it.

The second way, will achieve more power, but with some risks. "Chipping" your TDI will require soldering a new processor ontop (and/or tuning with VACOM VW software) of the existing one. This increases fuel, timing and most importantly boost. Some VW owners have 150 FWHP and 260 FWTQ!!!! (clutch is required).

My hesitation with that increase, is that when boost is increased, so is exhaust gas temps (EGT), which reduces oil life, you must let the car idle to cool the turbo after hard driving etc...

Just not the way I want to go right now.

The diesel box cost me ~500 Canadian after tax.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what exactly was the point of abbreviating the 6-letter name "Passat" with four letters + an apostrophe? Did that really accomplish anything?

That is all.

10. dr.zed

LOL!.... good point.

UPDATE> Did my first 16,000 kms maintenance. This requires the fuel filter to be changed ever 32,000 kms, and ever 16,000 drain the water.

The only hitch, is that you need to pressurize the fuel filter then quickly put back on the clear fuel line (I use a small mighty vac).

Apparently my stock clutch can't take the 30% increase in diesel box torque, and I've put in to 10% (still impressed), and the clutch is holding. I'm going to put in the VR6 clutch with a single mass G60 flywheel. I may get away with it all for $500 including installation.

The car still is FANTASTIC to drive, and I've since added HID projector headlights from the Audi TT and BMW 3 series.

Rock on TDI.

(BTW, gas mileage suffered MAYBE 5%).

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What's your mileage now? Have you done city vs. highway calculations yet?

12. Diesel Freak

Diesel Freak ♂♂ Closet Crew OT Supporter

Great engines. Don't take the car to the dealer for maintenance... a lot of dealerships don't do timing belt changes properly and are the result of a lot of bent valves and poor fuel economy.

I had a 2000 NB 5 speed until I totalled it. I put 55,000 miles on it. That was the older 1.9 rotary distributor pump engine though... the new ones are 2.0 pumpe deuse (unit injectors). I had it chipped and lowered and was very pleased with it. 36 MPG average (lead foot), with around 50 MPG on the highway. Lowest I ever got was 28 MPG (very unusual circumstances), which is still better than most of the cars on the road. My current Mercedes diesel gets 22 - 23 MPG all the time, no matter what.

My only gripe with VW is dealer service, although I can't comment on how they are nowadays since I haven't owned a VW in over 3 years.

If you buy a used one, make sure you take a good long look at the maintenance records. Getting a poorly maintained car up to speed can be quite costly, especially if something fails before you realize that there's a problem. Of course, this is the case with any car, not just a TDI.

13. Negron

Negron New Member

I have a 2001 tdi, 4 speed auto...Engine runs flawless as long as you A) don't take it to the dealer to get serviced and B) changed the timing belt when it comes time to do it.

14. dr.zed

UPDATEZ:

Just did my waterpump, all timing belts tensioners and seals, and the timing belt itself. When I originally wrote my above post I had bought the car at 118,000 kms, and the car was at about 125,000 kms. The car now has 154,000 kms.

The diesel tuning box was too much power for my stock clutch, and I switched to the VR6 setup. More diesel noise at idle with the VR6 clutch, but the pedal feel is better than my stocker.

The only non maintenance issue, was a passenger output shaft seal for the transmission, I had done with the timing belt. I went to a guy who has been servicing my wife's 02 GLS gasser for about 5 years now (which we sold). Still love the car. Rock solid and reliable.

15. JeremyR

JeremyR New Member

VW makes great engines.

I have just met a guy who had his timing belt replaced...for a sixth(6) time! He has 570.000km with a 1.9TDI engine. I instantly asked the number of mechanics he goes too.

He doesn't push his car too much, maximum 130km/h and goes easy with the acceleration. I knew that VW engines can take a punding, but 570.000kmh and still pulling like mad...:bowdown:

16. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

THe best engine available in North America in terms of power, reliability, longevity, practicality, economy, etc, etc!

I briefly had a TDi which I had to sell because of financial problems, but I really do miss it. I spent $400 to have the injectors upgraded and a chip installed and it turned the car into a peppy little commuter. I loved every minute I spent in that car. A great experience.

17. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

The best I've gotten out of my 99.5 is 56.3 MPG. Worst is 40. But my engine is putting out about 250 lb/ft of torque so I'm not complaining! I just rooled over to 201,000 miles tuesday... still have the original clutch even! (99.5 and very early 2000s came with a stronger clutch from the factory :big grin: )

Turbos go bang because the VNT mechanism gets hung up from not having to make any boost. Then one day you request full boost, it get's stuck in 'gimme more boost' mode.... If you DRIVE the car, you won't have any problems. My turbo works great... and I use almost no oil between 10k changes.

-Jason

18. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I had a 2001 Jetta TDI. it was the greatest car ever. i regret selling it. I had it chipped, and it was a blast to drive.

19. wet cardboard

wet cardboard gerald never saw it coming

I have a 2006 2/0 TDI Golf and its fucking awesome. Not sure if the Oz model is the same as the states (dunno) but its got plenty of torque.

Its got pull no matter what you're doing, driving up a hill, overtaking at speed, leaving it in manual and trying to drive from a stop in 5th gear cos you got distracted by your girls cleavage.. doens't matter. it just works.

Fuel economy is fantastic - 1,000km on one tank is a good feeling. Plus emissions are lower than the petrol equivalent. I could have bought a GTI but I don't regret my decision for a second - it might only be a little deal but I like driving a car that feels cleaner.

Besides I think people often buy based on power but you end up driving torque. Give me torque any day.

20. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

the TDI sure do produce tons of torque. Get it chipped and it will be even better!

21. Mark

Mark Diesel Junkie

Its true, my MAF is bad because of a dirty air filter (and the fact that it was a K&N foam filter. STAY AWAY FROM THOSE)

22. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

I like mine. See username.

23. dew

dew Banned

im really considering swapping a TDI into my golf

24. gino85

gino85 fuck your honda civic, i've a horse outside

does the vw tdi have problems with the front suspension arms, the ones on my mothers A4 snaped a few months back, and mine went yesterday also an A4 tdi while my dad was driving 70mph also the drive shaft snaped aswell lol

other than that i haven't really had a problem with it, its got 173k miles in it and no fan blades on the radiator fan lol

25. DK

DK New Member

MK IV Golf TDI here.

great mpg, good speed (does a little over 200 kph on the autobahn) and has - so far - been reliable. no issues.