VW Service :bowrofl:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by art_VW_shark, Jun 2, 2008.

1. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

so I mentioned this in a thread last week, but i minus whale give you guys the whole story now.
    so last week I took my passat in for 60k interval+oil change+NYS inspection+rotation. that was ~420 dollars, not too bad (but my dad pays lol, i am 19). take the car home, drives fine, as it should, and did before the maintenance. Hour later, orange CEL. :wtf: these people clearly can't cover their asses, probably disconnected some bullshit sensor. car drives fine, but th cel does not go away. so we think its some minor bullshit they can clear ina second. fast forward to last friday, i make an appointment for this morning at the dealer; i am very clear i got the cel right after i saw them.

fast forward to this morning, i drop the car off (I am here waiting, posting in the wifi-equipped waiting room) and am waiting. so a guy gets to me, and says that the temperature sender (iirc, relays various temperatures to ecu) has to be replaced, and this is 240+tax, with labour. no fucking way anything legitimately went wrong right after they took a look at the car. so i have my dad talk to the billing dude, and he tried to drive it in that this is preposterous, but the guy maintains that its not their fault, that these things go ou al the time. only on a vw...
    so my dad decided to shut the guy up and get billed the part, but when i spoke to my dad, he said an appeal to VWoA may well follow
    anyone else had any lol-induing german dealership experiences? all in all this sensor going doesn;t even make the car :wtf:-worthy; it's the second major electronic bit to go in 55k

2. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

1. Yes, it's possible for electronics to fail shortly after servicing.

2. If you automatically assume that the people servicing your vehicle are lying to you, you need to find a different service facility.

3. If you think a sensor that didn't impact driveability is a "major electronic bit" I'd suggest you trade out of a VW.

3. art_VW_shark

well you know what i mean in regards to 3, something tangible.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

WHICH temperature sensor?? There are two, one in the coolant overflow tank and one on the back of the engine block. The one in the overflow tank is often disconnected during an oil change, but it would cause an instant overheat light upon starting the engine. The one at the back of the engine block is rarely touched, but it's not too difficult to replace if you have a pair of pliers and a rag. It's sure as hell NOT $240. Don't get ripped off by those bastards, do it yourself. You can see the sensor (four wires) at the top of the back of the engine; on your car it'll either be black or green, and if it's black you should replace it with a green one anyway.

5. deusexaethera

VW dealers are a special kind of evil, and for good reason. Back before there were any VW dealers with their own repair shops, VW sponsored the training of independent mechanics all over the country. Nowadays, those independent mechanics run their own shops and make good money at it, and VW dealers are stuck in the unenviable position of constantly hiring new techs who quit and go to work for the independent shops once they've put in a year or two at the "stealership". Which basically means the only way VW dealers can make any money servicing cars, given the overhead of constantly training new techs, is to charge uninformed customers out the ass for basic service they could do themselves if they had any idea how easy the basic stuff is.

VWs have ridiculously-sensitive electronics; everything affects driveability, because the input from every single sensor is factored into the ignition and fuel timing. That's why I have a bright orange Check Engine sticker on the side of my car, as a joke.

6. deusexaethera

Oh, and VWoA won't give you shit. Their official policy is that it's the dealers' responsibility to fix shit they break.

7. zmiller91

zmiller91 New Member

two rubber trim piece that go above my headlights cost 160 (a 20 dollar part) dollars. ha, fuck that. two cup holders and a sun visor cost 400. fuck that. a new bumper painted and instaled cost 2600, fuck that too.

8. art_VW_shark

Temperature sender actually. part name, and too late now. also, mechanical nack I'd love to build, now isn't the time to do it; my dad won't let me do such much as an oil change. 'course all that changes when i move away

9. art_VW_shark

no...I don't know if the car knew to bypass the sender or whatever, but in between getting the CEL and today the car ran squeaky clean. also I am noticing a difference in brake response, feel and power :wiggle:after that 60k

10. deusexaethera

Brake response is highly-dependent on manifold vacuum; if they serviced the PCV system, that would explain the improved braking performance.

When I say "everything is factored into the ignition and fuel timing", I don't mean it makes enough of a difference for any human to notice. Remember, these are Germans we're talking about; they all have OCD and they live in a socialized economy where they're all supposed to be as productive as possible in exchange for virtually guaranteed jobs.

11. deusexaethera

sender = sensor. They started calling them "senders" when people learned what "sensors" were and that they were easy to replace.

12. art_VW_shark

ah...

13. LTSS99

LTSS99 New Member

:rofl: Best of luck, I've tried this twice and they were of no help

14. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

:bowrofl:
    VW electronic gremlins have so much "personality"

15. art_VW_shark

wat

16. deusexaethera

Art's had two sensors fail. I haven't had any sensors fail, though my ignition controller did die because I took it off its heatsink and it overheated. I don't see how that qualifies as "electrical gremlins". Gremlins are problems that seem impossible to solve, not problems that take five minutes to solve.

17. art_VW_shark

two? One and a trunk latch mechanism I am pretty sure I broke :o and before that like a fuse lawl
    my vw has treated us well :bowdown: