VW Reliablility

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kicking_ascii, Jun 24, 2005.

1. kicking_ascii

kicking_ascii OT Supporter

I'm gonna be buying a used car in August, and was thinking about possibly trying out something German, and since the only brand that is in my price range that's of that country is VW. I'm planning to drop about 10-12k. But after reading a little in the main forum, I'm kinda concerned about their reliability so i thought I'd post here and see what you guys would say, I'm looking at a 200-2004ish passat, golf or golf GTI, and ill be looking for cars in Phoenix, AZ. VW experts please post thoughts, I just want a daily driver thats comfortable and won't fuck me over after just 6 months of owning.

2. kicking_ascii

bump cmon guys

3. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I've heard really bad VW reliability stories, just cruise through vwvortex.com and you'll come up with a bunch.

However, I've owned my '01 GTI for about a year and a half (2nd owner), and haven't had any issues at all with the engine/drivetrain. VW's most common problems are with the electrical systems, ie: window regulators, MAF sensors, heated seats, hazard switches, etc. Most of which are covered under extended part warranties anyways.

So far the problems I've had are:
    -bad MAF sensor (VERY common), fixed for free
    -bad driver door sensor (car wouldn't detect when door opened), cost about $300 to fix.
    -broken exhaust hanger weld, cost about $60 to fix.
    -broken glove box hinge (also very common), I bought a new glove box door, and put it on myself.
    -leaky passenger door seals, which I'm fixing myself.

I'm happy with my car, but I know it's not going to be as reliable as my Honda was...

4. sour.monkey

sour.monkey so good OT Supporter

VWs are great race cars, but they act like race cars in that they require constant babying. maybe not so great as a daily driver, but beautiful nonetheless.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Regular maintenance is a must. If you don't keep up with it, it will bite you in the ass.

My 97 GTI was fine as long as I kept up with things.

6. Lima_dat

Lima_dat Banned

I've got a 2001 Passat with 85,000 miles on it, i've had it for almost 25,000 miles and I drive her HARD. Haven't had any problems with it yet except some warped rotors, but that's partly my fault. Maintenance is a MUST though, keep her in shape and she'll treat you well. I do have the 2.8 V6 though, which i've heard tends to be slightly more reliable than the 1.8t.

7. kicking_ascii

hmm alright, thanks for the input guys, I'm def gonna keep up the maintenance on this car

8. Ty

Ty New Member

vw are the most reilable cars the dont have a radiator so they dont over heat the are very simple motors to fix the are basically a amped up verison of a two stroke lawn mower engine

9. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Get out.

10. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I've only had one problem with my '02 GTI, the window washer system has a leak somewhere. Other than that, it runs perfectly.

11. BluSpecs

BluSpecs New Member

It's an oxymoron......

None of my VW's have ever been what I'd call reliable.

12. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    how is a VW NOT a daily driver :confused:

13. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

You didnt get the memo.. that 115HP VW Jetta is full race and not to be used to drive to work :noes: :noes:

14. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Oh snap...guess I should start using my GTi only on weekends.

15. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

I have had my golf for over a year and the only problem i have had is a faulty O2 sensor which i could care less about.

16. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My friend has a '00 2.0L Golf that has had major electrical issues. His doors no longer lock is he pushes the button on the remote. Also, the alarm sets about 20% of the time. He has about 60k miles on it, and its coming up really soon on needing a new clutch. Recently, he had issues with sparkplugs, and the car was running on 2 cylinders.

17. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Making sure the sparkplugs are gapped just right seems to be a bigger problem for the 2.slows. The '00s and earlier MKIVs had lots of bugs that didn't get worked out until the 2002.5 and up models. Him needing a clutch definately sounds like HIS FAULT. Volkswagen has always been renowned for how bulletproof their transmissions and clutches are.

18. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

:werd:

The only people I know who have had their clutches replaced in their Jettas/Golfs did it at fairly high mileages, or just for an upgrade. Mine's at 57k, and it feels like it's brand new.

19. eightiesfan

eightiesfan New Member

:rofl:

20. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

From what I have heard and read, its really hit or miss on VW reliability. Most have some sort of issues that are a pain but you can deal with them. Some have been relatively trouble free, and others have been 100% lemons.

Now If you were looking at a bimmer, you need to keep up with maintenence and hope your subframe doesnt rip apart and you are all good. VWs even with maintenence they seem to be trouble. Just know what you are getting into with a VAG product.

21. DINide

DINide New Member

my gf calls her 2002 GTI 1.8T a "$25K paperweight"

22. kicking_ascii

haha, god you just gotta love OT, well I'm pretty serious on a VW, everything else in my price range and what im looking for just seems so dull, granted I am just looking for a daily driver, but I wouldnt mind the possibility of an autox every now and then. I've narrowed it down to preferrably some sort of a 2000-2003ish GTI either that or a Golf GLs with the 1.8T engine. Anyone have any sort of advice with the turbo models, like do you need to use premium (91 octance) gas, oil issues, etc. And also I'm about 6'4 and am kinda wonderin if I'll even be able to fit in the car in the first place.

23. kicking_ascii

24. Derek

Derek OT Supporter

my g/f worked in the service department of the local VW/Audi dealership and has told me so many horror stories so I'd never ever consider one. I'll ask her about the specific car you're looking at and see what she says. :hs:

25. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

yeah VW and reliable do not generally belong in the same sentence.