VW owners

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by flyjetta, Feb 11, 2004.

1. flyjetta

flyjetta FlYJeTtA OT Supporter

How long have you had your vw's? I've had my 2000 jetta since I bought it and it currently has 55000 miles. I've blown 3 maf's but that's about it so far.. I usually sit my car for the winter and when I put it in storage I think I blew another maf because it was running wierd. Kind of surging a little so I said I'd just put in the new maf and get it going in spring.

The car starts.. but chugs.. and chugs.. and barely idles..

so I put in the new maf.. and it's still the same. I'm thinking of just getting it running and selling it even though I would lose out of my ass on it because I put two tone leather, supercharger and koni yellows on it last summer. I honestly feel that this car would eventually nickel and dime me to death.. what are your thoughts?

Yeah yeah.. I know I'll get the typical "gay car" and shit like that.. but serious replies would be appreciated also..

please tell me what car you have and your plans on keeping it and problems you've had.. do you think it's a 150,000 mile capable car?

2. jaydub

jaydub Every calling is great when greatly pursued.

i got rid of mine because I began to see it nickel and dime me to death. It was a smart move, but I do miss driving it.

3. Dutchies

Dutchies OT's resident abortion professor

I got rid of my 97 VR6 cause my friend totalled it by smashing it into the guardrail on I-95 doin about 135.

4. flyjetta

what year did you have jaydub? What did you replace it with? I love the way it looks.. my 2000.. I'm just afraid of the future..

5. AlphaIntegra

AlphaIntegra Guest

See what I mean by besides vw being ugly and fwd they are very unreliable.

6. flyjetta

I don't think they are ugly at all, but unreliable.. yes :(

7. jaydub

2000 Jetta GLS VR6. I had two failed MAFs, a failed changeover valve and a nasty oil leak... not to mention that I had gone through 7 window regulators.

8. flyjetta

wow.. I haven't went through one window regulator *knock on wood* but I have had maf problems.. did the new regulators fail also?

I'm hoping I can just trade it in with the supercharger and call it a day..

9. flyjetta

what do you drive now jaydub?

10. jaydub

2002 Civic Si.

11. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

I have a 2003 GTi....I am suing for various reasons surrounding the purchase of the car...but I am seriously unhappy with the car and will never buy another vw

12. flyjetta

wow... that's a change.. almost like switching to a completely alternative religion..

how do you like it?

13. wop

wop Guest

um... nice av?

14. jaydub

I've had it for almost 18 months now, and I really like it. It has some suspension issues I need to work out, and with every car I've owned I get bored after a while, but I'm finding things to keep me interested in this car.

It wasn't really that much of a departure for me though, I've owned as many Hondas as I have VW's.

87 GTI 8v
    92 Jetta Carat 8v
    95 Civic EX
    99 Civic EX
    00 Jetta GLS VR6
    02 Civic Si

15. nissanpower

nissanpower I :heart: PeyPey

In two years of ownership, my '98 GTi never had a problem. Everyone else I know with VW's has major problems.
    My friend's '03 Passat saw the back of a towtruck twice within the first three months he owned it. Another friend just had the engine replace in her '01 Passat because it had so many problems. The list goes on and on.....

16. wop

wop Guest

teh civic can't lose... DUH! he must love it!

:o

17. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

I have a 97 Jetta with 115k miles, only thing I have had to replace were the belts+water pump (other than the obvious stuff of course) Still riding on original clutch but I will probably replace it this summer.

oh yeah about VW's and oil leaks: When I first bought mine (used) it was leaking oil like crazy so I was like hmm WTF did I get a lemon. It turns out that the guy who had it before took it to Jiffy Lube and the dumbasses there didnt screw the nut/washer back on, it wasnt even hand tight. You have to replace the washer every couple oil changes but it is a cheap part and good oil change places are smart about it anyway.

18. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter

I have a 2002 GTI, had it for 2 years. tranny was replaced at 7000 miles. small issues here and there and now I feel like the tranny slips.

I have about 35,000 miles on mine and I hope it'll last til 150,000, but i doubt it. Hopefully the next generation heads in the right direction as far as reliability goes.

19. flyjetta

I used to love hondas.. but the ricer crowd killed it for me. I don't know how I would feel getting an si now..

I'm thinking maybe a subaru or an accord..

20. jaydub

Yeah that was another reason I ended up really hating the veedub scene. It was hard to be around some of them when they just couldn't admit that they could possibly lose. Their cars were admirable, but not the fastest thing ever. It was not that uncommon on the 'tex to read about guys claiming to have beaten corvettes & vipers stock.

21. flyjetta

the tex is just a bunch of flamers now.. there were more wheel threads then anything.. it got worse each year.. if you didn't have a certain brand of wheels you sucked.. or a certain body kit.. I used to live on the tex.. now I only check on it once in a blue moon. The technical forums are the only half way decent ones there.

Regardless.. I think I'm going to be driving a japanese car really soon.. I would love a bmw though.. :( I've thought about an A4, but I want something I don't have to worry about anymore.. something I know will last a while..

22. mad8vskillz

mad8vskillz Guest

2002 gti 1.8t
    50k no problems. the coilpacks and windows were replaced on a routine maintenance visit

23. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

i have a 2003 GTI 1.8t. i've had it about 7 months and it has about 11,000 miles on it. no problems really, aside from getting some rattles ( :mad: ) i have had no problems with the engine or anything else.

i can see myself keeping the car a long time... it runs great, is lots of fun to drive, and is pretty utilitarian. plus once i get it paid off it would be hard to go back to having a payment again. but.. in a few years i could want to buy something a little classier.

24. kazimer

kazimer New Member

1996 vw jetta
    bought it in 2001 w/ 110k miles

only problems so far were bad drivers side hub which caused my wheel to come off at highway speeds....it leaks coolant, and it also has a terrible idle during the winters and it clears up when the cars warms up

i was thinking of getting another car..a passat, but i dont want to have to deal with payments

25. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

never buy a VW newer than 92. The only exception is the Passat up to 97