VW jetta deisel

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by theronald, Aug 22, 2007.

1. theronald

theronald New Member

what kinda gas milage do they get? are they reliable?

2. Rich

Rich New Member

I hear it's around 40. Reliability and VW go together like sluts and clothes.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

The diesels are reliable. You're gonna average around 40MPG. Straight highway you'll get more along the lines of 50MPG.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

VWs are reliable if you maintain them. The catch is that they require much more maintenance than Jap cars do.

5. project15

project15 New Member

:gtfo: deus speaks the truth on this one

6. deusexaethera

I know, it's difficult to comprehend the idea of repairing a car instead of replacing it, yeah? It's easier when you have a good car to start with.

7. dew

dew Banned

the tdi engine is awesome..

8. dew

dew Banned

:ugh:

9. deusexaethera

It's very simple: European carmakers push the tolerances of their parts to the absolute limit, and they don't design parts that lose performance as they age, so the car doesn't lose power as its parts get weaker, so stuff actually breaks if you don't maintain it. On the other hand, you're actually getting your money's worth instead of having to add a few grand in mods to get the car you thought you were buying.

You save money on mods and spend it on repairs. See? Simple.

10. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

I get about 45 with my 99.5 TDI. Best I've gotten is 56. Mine hasn't needed too many out of the ordinary things, except an AC compressor at 150k. Well, it did have coolant migration when it was still under warranty, that was a bit of a pain. Also had the front window lifters replaced 5 times... before 2002 they used a faulty part. Why it took VW almost 4 years to figure out the part needed updated is beyond me. But no falling windows since then.

Brakes lasted 120k, still on the original clutch at 208k, tho it is starting to show it's age, and it doesn't help that the engine is making about 30 more HP then stock ;)

-Jason

11. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

please tell me you're kidding.

12. E-dub

E-dub New Member

:rofl:

13. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Had my 03 TDI for about 70,000 kms. The only thing that has started to act up is the drivers door latch. It thinks its closed when it is open. Apparently a common problem solved with a $100 latch new from an online distributor.

I have the diesel tuning box on the car (30% increase in TQ and HP) and have constantly done 950 - 1000 kms on 55L of diesel. 50% highway 50% city with the AC on.

I recently arrived in NC where I did 1231 kms on 54L of diesel. Half of that time the AC was on. (actually AC doesn't seem to really affect MPG). That is 65 MPG. The car doesn't squeak, rattle and looks inside like it was brand new.

I bough this car shortly after I sold my wife's 2002 Golf 2.0L gasser which we bought new, and sold at 280,000 kms. With the exception of doing a clutch early (some 02 clutches were weak) it was problem free. The brakes are exceptional and I only did the rear's twice on the 2002, and NEVER touched the front pads or rotors in 280,000 kms. (forgot... did a wheel bearing at 90,000 kms... I belive it was due to incorrect alignment of the driveshaft after the clutch)

My TDI is as maintenance free as it gets. Oil every 16,000 kms, and fuel and air filters ever 32,000 kms. Timing belt and water pump every 160,000 kms.

I don't buy the argument that these vehicles require extra maintenance.

14. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

holy shit, works out to SIXTY FIVE mpg??

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  15. dr.zed

It does. I didn't believe it until I did the calculation again.

Typically I have my damn foot into this car EVERY where I go. I always get a kick out of feeling the diesel pull at low RPM. I typically never shift above 3500 RPM. My worst tank of diesel is NEVER below 950 kms, regardless of temperature, driving style or the like.

I believe I could have done 1300 kms to this tank if I didn't get excited on I95 and cruised with traffic at about 3000 RPM for about an hour.

FYI I run 500mL of Power Service at each fill up.

16. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

I've heard these same exact reports hundreds of times...

which is why I bought my 2001 TDI. In the middle of a head rebuild and timing belt/water pump/tensioner/idler change right now. As soon as I get it up and running, I'm headed for a long high-way trip to confirm I can get 60+mpg...

:wavey:

edit: I bought it after the first owner put 205k miles on and then it appeared to 'eat' a lifter (running, but not well whatsoever.) So, when the new top-end is installed, it should be good to go.

17. Jesse_Boyer

Jesse_Boyer New Member

Dr.zed, what's 'power service?'

18. dr.zed

Power Service is a diesel additive. There are a few benefits to additives to diesel. First off, most diesel is treated well for all types of temperatures and lubricity. With the new ULSD or Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel, sulfer is the lubrication injection pumps require to keep them healthy.

A diesel additive helps lubricate this pump, and boost cetane levels (the same as octane in gas) which keeps the internals cleaner and running smoothly. This also reduces soot which when combined with oil blow by (natural) will clog up the TDI intake every 200,000 kms or so. I've disabled my idle EGR FYI.

I do not believe Power Service is the best additive and I will be trying alternatives. A good additive will reduce smoke, lower engine idle noise, increase power a small bit and the like.

Run an additive to make sure you are getting the highest quality diesel into your engine, when you cannot rely on the "freshness" of many gas station.

19. deusexaethera

Cetane isn't the same as octane. Octane is a stable eight-sided hydrocarbon with a high flashpoint, and cetane is an unstable six-sided hydrocarbon (similar to benzene, but with different bonds) with a tendency to spontaneously combust under pressure. (That's why diesels don't need sparkplugs and gas engines do.) Increasing the cetane rating only helps if the engine is eight-stroking -- if it's already igniting on every single combustion cycle, then increasing the cetane rating can cause pre-detonation.

Just wanted to clear that up. Carry on.

20. dr.zed

Hey Mr. KnowItAll... you've been run out of every forum so I'm going to say it here first to you.

Fuck off and read my post again. You clearly have no concept of reading carefully, something somebody in your supposed profession requires. I hope to Heaven one day you don't have anything to do with the bridge my family and I drive over.

I said "and boost cetane levels (THE SAME AS octane in gas)". I never said it was the same as octane, I said it is to diesel what octane is to gas.

Thanks for your information session. Since it comes from you, it is completely worthless.

Eat a dick and die.

Carry on.

21. deusexaethera

Sorry you can't handle being corrected.

The cetane rating on diesel is not the same as the octane rating on gasoline. Even if we ignore the difference between the actual chemicals, the octane rating indicates gasoline's resistance against spontaneous combustion, and the cetane rating indicates diesel's tendency towards spontaneous combustion.

So aside from the chemicals being different and the ratings indicating different properties, yes, they are both listed on yellow stickers on the fronts of fuel pumps, so...I guess you're not entirely wrong. Have a cookie.

I'd take you up on your offer, but you'd have to get the dick out of your ass before I could eat it, bitch.

22. dr.zed

Great spin.

You're used to people hating you I see.

23. Tron

Tron New Member

what is with people who hate on VW reliability? I or any of my friends who ALL own VW's have ever had our cars leave us stranded, i really dont see what the big fuss is, sure you might know someone who has had one breakdown on them, i know people who have had jap crap break on them but im not gonna say they arent reliable, buuuut im not here to start a war over reliability, i just wanted to say that :p

24. deusexaethera

The GTI is pretty reliable. I've not heard great things about the Mexican-made Jetta, and I know from experience that the Passat slides down the proverbial slippery-slope pretty damn fast if it's ignored.

EDIT: That said, if you're on-the-ball enough to keep it maintained, it will be plenty reliable. I've never had my Passat refuse to start, despite all of the "oh shit, this is so about to break" problems I had with it back when I was beating it back into shape.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  25. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter