vw forums?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by wop, Jan 28, 2003.

1. wop

wop Guest

what are some good vw forums... I am looking at a 2003 GTi and want to read up on them...

TIA.

2. Redline Racer

Redline Racer Subaru Tecnica International

Well the biggest American one I know of is VW Vortex

3. wop

wop Guest

thanks... but I am having trouble searching..

4. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

Whoretex is the biggest out there..

MiVE (MichiganVW.com) is growing pretty fast, but its mainly Michigan and surrounding states..

rec.auto.makers.vw.watercooled is a pretty half ass ok newsgroup

5. wop

wop Guest

thanks again guys... I will start posting on vortex...

6. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

Out of curiosity, what model are you searching for?

Actually, what are you searching for that you havent found?

7. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

just to warn you, the mkIV forum is useless. just a bunch of kids who bitch about altezzas and what is rice. the engine forums, lighting forum, and all the tech forums are very helpful though.

8. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

Thats exactly why I asked.

The MK3 and 4 forums blow. Those guys all complain about rice, and yet 3/4 of thir cars are straight out of the Uncle Bens box.

The A2 forums are really good though. And as MB said, the tech forums are very helpful!

Once in a blue moon, you can get a killer deal in the classifieds, but like I said, blue moon.

9. bobo

bobo Something Something....

10. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

hahah yep pretty much. i mean i own an mkIV and i love it, but that doesn't mean i'm going to go into that forum much. i may go in there just to look at pics or something, but i won't ask a question in there. i leave that to the lighting forum or the 1.8T forum. regional forums are also kinda cool cause its local.

11. wop

wop Guest

2002 GTi 1.8T

I looked for LSD conversions, suspension kits (struts / springs / sway bars / etc...) intercooler upgrades... price on OEM HID conversions... etc...

I got I lot of "no results"... :dunno:

12. wop

wop Guest

great... that is where I was looking... :rolleyes:

13. wop

wop Guest

sorry to be ignorant but what is "A2"?

14. wop

wop Guest

15. wop

wop Guest

I was looking model specific... I guess I should of been more broad in my searches?

16. wop

wop Guest

I did more searches... found some stuff...

what the hell is a "diverter valve"? it is a BOV that vents back to the intake? why are they shuch a big deal on the 1.8T? are regular BOV's bad cause of the MAF?

17. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

there is always big debate between BOV and DV. personally i would stick with a DV because that is what the engine came with stock.

you can get a really good DV from forge or bailey (two good companies) that gives very nice results. i wouldn't try a BOV because it seems touch and go with those. some people have great success and some people open up a bunch of problems with them.

A2 is the second generation golf and jetta.

there are a few companies that sell LSD's that seem pretty cool. www.parts4vws.com has a LSD for sale that i know of.. theres more out there. basically you'll have to spend a few weeks collecting helpful website addresses.

OEM HID kits will run kind of expensive because they are not offered here on the golfs and jettas. if you had a Mercedes for example i could hook you up with my friend in the netherlands for some cheap HIDs from europe.. even cheaper than US ones. but because VW HIDs are kinda rare here, people charge a lot. i'll never get them because its just too much money.. you're looking at around $1500 for everything. the way i went with lighting is i had that same friend get me some barely used e-code headlights. beam pattern is fantastic and it was way cheap. only $250. he saved me about $100. one thing i have heard you can do which is slightly cheaper is get the e-codes then get the HID retrofit kit.. but then by that point, you might as well get the OEM stuff.

there are a ton of suspension upgrades and possibilities out there for the mkIV cars. you can go low end and cheap like me and get H&R sport springs for $170 and still get much better handling, or go all out and get coilovers. and then there are a bunch of setups in between at different prices. bars and stuff can be picked up from places like neuspeed.

intercoolers, you can get front mount intercoolers or even a second one kind of like the Audi TT from forge.

anyway, take a look around http://www.parts4vws.com and http://www.neuspeed.com for starters.

i'd give you way more links but i lost them when my last computer died.

18. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

You would be better off in the lighting forums.
    If search doesnt pull up anything, then start a post and ask. The tech forum guys are usually pretty good on answering questions!

19. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

An A2 is a 85-92 Golf/GTI and Jetta

20. wop

wop Guest

ok... but I still don't understand what the difference is... can you elaborate?

got it thanks.

ok... I can look into that... I don't see why VW didn't give it one stock... maybe cost?

the OEM HID's are e-code and projector right? with two ambers in the middle? like:

[​IMG]

$1500.00 is pricey but not that bad... the first HID "kit" I got for my impreza (way back in the day 1999) ran me $650.00... and it was just the bulb and ballast... so for $1500.00 getting headlamps and the whole deal is not that bad... are they plug and play? or will I have to wire :( ?

are there complete kits? like struts with springs and sway bars and a bushing kit? so it all works together? how low can you drop a GTi with out hurting handling? I heard 1.25"... your thoughts?

I heard heat soak is a problem... so I would like a big front mount...

will do... and thanks again for all your help.

roger that, thanks.

got it... :bigthumb:

thanks again guys.

21. wop

wop Guest

T|T|T

22. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

hmm so far i've never heard of a complete package of suspension peices.. probably because suspension is such a personal taste issue. i personally favor H&R and Bilstein products even though Eibach makes VW springs. you can drop a GTi pretty low.. mine is actually lower than what you stated even on my very very basic setup. i got a 1.5" drop all the way around and i still have room for bigger wheels.

from what i understand the BOV lets off the excess boost into the atmosphere and the DV lets if off into the exhaust system however after the turbo. so at that point it finally gets released. BOV gives you that classic BOV sound.. the pssssshhhht! DVs don't really have that sound. i think i heard somewhere though that an aftermarket one will increase the sound of your turbo.. and thats always cool. as far as performance both are the same from what i know. its more about what your personal taste is. my opinion is stick close to the stock setup but upgrade the parts. that way the system is already used to it instead of having to change the way the engine is setup. but again, installing a BOV is doable and some people have success with it.

LSD's i have no knowledge of.. all i know is that it stands for limited slip differential. i don't know of too many people who get them.. at least not right off the bat. probably why i don't know too much about them. so anyway i won't speculate and give you a wrong answer about that.

the OEM HID setup are complete units. basically there are three things you can do with your lighting.. leave it stock with the north american headlight units, change to the european stock headlight units (they have better reflection patterns and just totally rock anyway), and then there is the HID which are also a complete unit. if you get them you will litterally have to remove your existing housing and plug these ones in. as far as installing the mounting should be plug and play but wiring it up yourself may be required. hell there may even be companies out there who sell prepackaged wiring kits with instructions when you buy HIDs from them. you'll have to find a place to install the ballasts too. some people go for the complete european look and style by installing the headlight washing nozzles. they pop up from the bumper like most luxury cars with HIDs. i heard its required by law to have the washers if you have HIDs.. but i'm not completely sure. ANYWAY, if you want the washers you'll have to buy those separately and then buy a european spec bumper.. because on the Golf bodies the bumper differs in North America from the European one.. and the euro one also has mounting points for the washer nozzles.

i hear front mount intercooler is the best way to go. aside from working very well they look really damn good.

also items like the p-flo from neuspeed or any other form of cone-type air filter have been known to cause problems with the MAF. hot engine air, even when theres a heat shield fucks everything up. people either keep their stock airbox and put a drop-in filter in or get a complete CAI system. and there are a bunch of cool ones out there.

23. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

I am 99% sure that Neuspeed sells a full suspension kit with springs, struts, sway bars and stress bars... Im thinking that I remember the strut package even being completely assembled!

My drop will be different from yours, since im on a different chassis, but I am sitting on a 60/40 drop, which has VR6 strut bearings (That makes it about 50/40)... That works out to be about 2 inches in front and 1.5 in the back.. I ride on 16x7 wheels and im not tucked front or rear.
    I also removed my fender flares, so I could probably roll on 17" rims with no to little rub.

24. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Weird, I went from a 99 Impreza RS to an '03 GLI :)

I hated selling my car, though, I miss the fun (and traction!) that it had :sad2:

I needed a nice daily driver though :o

Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  25. wop

wop Guest

I looked on their site and didn't see it... but I can call... I just wanted to make sure everything works with each over opposed to against one another... I read that the arms should be parallel to the ground... would a 1.5" drop do this? I will probably only run 17's for better tire choices... maybe 16's... but not sure yet...

my understanding is that BOV (depending on manufacture) can vent to atmosphere or back into the system (like I did on my 2.5RS-T to prevent MAF problems.)... I am guessing that the only difference here is terminology... like VW people call strut tower braces "stress bars", when I have only seen them as "strut tower braces"...

ok... thanks... I will do more R&D...

sounds like the OEM's are the rage... the OEM HID's are glass, right? do you have a pic of the euro bumper?

:werd:

I like the looks and design of the evoms one... thoughts?

I still have my 99 2.5RS-T... but I need a daily driver and my 2.5RS-T is far from complete...(rebuilding)

thanks again.