VW Crew: I'm thinking of getting a golf

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by themacstallion, Jan 17, 2005.

1. themacstallion

themacstallion The electric sheep are dreaming up your fate

I'm thinking about getting a golf for my first car, a 4 door mid-late 90's model. what are your thoughts on the golf?

2. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Our thoughts don't matter. We're not the ones that will be driving the car. Get whatever car you like to drive the most.

3. nicklol

nicklol Nu OT Supporter

MkIII Golf eh? those are 93-98 i believe

i test drove a GTI VR6 and I loved it. With the 2.0, it's not going to be fast but it'll get you there with good mileage and it's still a fun car.

I've heard their reliability and quality is rather poor and below industry average, you might be better off getting a japanese car like a civic or corrola if your looking for economical transportation.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want something new, get a Scion Tc. Sporty, stylish, and fast to boot! Much faster than any stock civic you'll find.

If you want something used, then I'd say check out a neon or civic -- with the civic being more reliable. But please do not rice it out.

5. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

hahahahahahah...a neon?...the worst reliable car EVER...not to mention while it won't move the body parts will rust/fall off as well...DO NOT buy a neon

a civic yes...older civics are pretty reliable...but are even slower then most 2.0 golfs...

if your saying the older early 90s...that includes the mk2 which is to date one of hte most reliable vws...and don't say well thats not sayhing much for a vw...cuz theres not too many car companys out there that have been able to buy back a car after it rolled over past 1million miles w/0 a new motor or tranny...mk2s are very reliable/cheap if you buy a good one...mk3s are nice too cuz u get a lot more options and are usually easier to find a clean one...good luck...there are a lot of good reliable cars...most of it really relies on the previous owner :hsd:

6. nikocb

nikocb New Member

^^^^Exactly.

If the car was taken care of then you'll be fine. Most of the 'poor reliability' you hear about is the failing coil packs in the newer vw's. If you're looking for a 90's golf you're probably talking about the mk3. I've owned two. A 2.0 and a VR6. Both have been good to me. With the 2.0 I had absolutely NO problems. With the VR6 I've had to fix some things but most of that is a result of me driving it too hard or being too low. They can look really nice too :bigthumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and a pic of mine :wiggle::
    [​IMG]

7. waspride

waspride Can't this wait till I'm old, can I live while I'm

I have an '01 2.slo. Its not fast, but great gas mileage. No problems as of yet :x: .