VW Crew, help my freind out...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Eclipsed830, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Eclipsed830

Eclipsed830 Active Member

My freind needs his automatic transmission built because he has gone through 3 already, and the transmission in now is slipping and car is not under warrenty anymore.

The car is a 2000 VW Golf, 1.8t automatic. I know the engine code is AWD. We asked the guys at ECS Tuning where we could get it built and they didn't even know. Matt (working on the twin turbo R32) from Switzer Inovations gave us a number to call, and we are calling later this morning, but does anyone know of any other places we could get the tranny built? He wants it built to be able to handle around 450whp.

*Cliffs* Freinds Golf 1.8t automatic tranny needs to be able to handle 450whp, where can we get it built at?

Thanks! :wiggle:

2. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

I've never even heard of a place that rebuilds vw auto trannies back to factory specs... Comming from a guy who works at am automotive shop.

I don't think VW parts would be able to accomplish 450hp. I think you guys would be best talking with some custom muscle car speed shops, or seeing if you could find an Audi DSG or something.

3. capcrnch

capcrnch Active Member

The only place I can think of would be Kraftswerks out in Cali.

4. Eclipsed830

Do you know if they have a website or contact info? Everywhere I search it comes up with cars that have the different transmissions in it, but no acctul link or info to the company.

5. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

see thats the problem right there. vw auto trannies can barely hadle stock power :squint:

6. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

Is it an auto or a tip?

Bottom line: six-speed 4tw.

7. Eclipsed830

:werd:

8. Eclipsed830

Its just the 4 speed auto. And it seems like it would be a COMPLETE bitch to swap a standard tranny in it.

9. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Not really that bad.
    Better and cheaper than replacing the stock VW auto every year.
    Or buy another 1.8t Golf with a manual and swap motors over.

10. T-T

T-T Born Into Retirement

:werd:

Take the plunge and drop a 6speed VR6 tranny into it (with an upgraded clutch, since VR6 clutches are only rated to ~300tq). Honestly your friend is quite stupid to have replaced his 4speed Auto transmission 3 times already...

11. m5am

m5am New Member

the VR6 tranny are either the 02A or 02M. The 1.8t 5 speed is an 02J which is basically the same gear set as an 02A but some say slightly stronger. I did an automatic to 5 speed in my 12v VR6 and it wasnt too bad. You shouldnt need a new ecu or anything, since the auto tranny has its own ecu to control it. You will need a new pedal cluster, slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, shifter box, center console, and then some bolts and things. If this is something he might be interested in I have a friend who has a 02J and all nessesary parts from a 2005 1.8t GTI that all has 700 miles on. I am sure he could work out a good price for you. If your interested send me an PM. Hope that helps. And just like everyone said, dont mess with an automatic anymore.

12. Skobic

Skobic New Member

how bout an answer from europe?

vw automatic on 450hp? vw cant make a factory automatic to handle 450...

best example '97 golf3 vr6 synchro automatic (eu version 175hp)... every year cca 1000€ for the new trans

switch to manual (from r32)... or you can have a custom transmission built in but i think its too expensive even for the states...

13. Skobic

Skobic New Member

can u post some pics?

14. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

the first question out of my mind...is how can u possibly need to handle 450whp...cuz unless you've got noz...there is no way ur pushing 450 out of a 1.8t

15. Skobic

Skobic New Member

i know this guy who pushed it to 390hp... but 450 in this engine sounds NOSish...

16. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2158671

:noes:

I was actually trying to find info on a guy I read about a few months back with a 1.8t in his Corrado running around 550whp, but came across this before I could find it. I'm not exactly sure what setup he is running though(w/ or w/o NO2), but it looks like it can be done.

17. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

The 1.8t is capable of 450 without nitrous, but it is gonna take some doing.
    It's one hell of a motor.

That being said, the amount of work that it would take to do this, and then backing it with a VW automatic...I think the thread starter is full of shit.
    If you are going to take the time to build the motor, a simple tranny swap isn't that tough.
    My guess is that to hit 450whp, you should probably be running a stand alone system anyway. That gives you even less to do. All you have to do is swap out the pedal cluster, build the manual to give you some traction (Quaife or Peloquin are your friends) and bolt it in.