VW Black- swirls repair tips?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Redsand187, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

I've got a 05 GTI in black... I haven't really taken care of it like I should be... A couple weeks ago I was rear ended, coming from scheduling a service appointment... Well, after I brought the car to the dealer and they gave it a "complementary" wash. (It was filthy, and had been for some time) Then it went straight to the body shop to replace the bumper cover.

Well I go to pick it up and the thing looks horrible. The last time I detailed it, about 9 months ago, it didn't look too bad, very few scratches from the occasional drive through car wash, but now it just looks sickening. I think half of the reason is from the dealer cleaning it, I've seen their work, and it sucks. But they are such a shitty dealership I am not even going to complain to them, they don't care, they didn't know what a GTI was when I started shopping, told me a 05 GTI 1.8T didn't exist after I bought one, and can't fix my few small problems...

Long story short. My paint looks like ass. I ordered a PC, have a rotary, got #9 #7 #2, plus a bunch of random Production Car Care polishes, compounds and waxes. (My family used own one the largest Production distributors many years ago)

Here are a couple of pics... it's really hard to get a good shot of the swirls/scratches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't mind the lint. If you get it in the right light, the entire thing has all these little scratches, looking down in side make me :wtc:

I'm wondering if I just go 2,7,9 with the PC if that will be enough to get everything into check.

Also they told me, 90 days before I wax the bumper since it was painted. What's the deal with that?

2. cracka.

cracka. Guest

I don't think its necessary to wait 90 days.. as far as your plan to buff and polish you should be fine.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It will be tough to get a black VW close to perfect with a PC, plan on spending a good 30-60 minutes per panel.

#2, #83 and #80 would probably work best. #80 has some new paint safe polymer protection so it should hold until the 90 days are up.

4. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

5. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

Do you think I'd be better off going with my rotary first... I've got to get some pads for it..... It's been years since I've used it. :hs:

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rotary, yellow Meguiars polishing pad and #83 is where I would start.

7. Redsand187

Redsand187 OT Supporter

So the PC showed up today, no yellow pad yet. I'll run by the paint supply store tomorrow and see if they got some.

I was eager to try it out. So played around with it and #2 with a white pad on the hood.

I didn't get a shot of the hood before I started, but it looked much like this side did.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the hood after playing around on it.
    [​IMG]

Most of the swirls are gone. It took a lot of work, but that was with a white pad on the PC. There are still some that must be deeper. But as you can see above, every square inch of the car was/is covered with intense swirls. Now, it's passable. I hope with a couple cutting pads and a few nights after work, I will have some scottwax results. :x:

8. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

VW paint fucking sucks to work with

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

fixed.

10. spitfyre

spitfyre OT Supporter

that is true to I have to do my car this week should be a fun week after a long winter :wtc: