VW AG - Recent recall the icing on the quality cake.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Feb 12, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

After months of consumer complaints, VW is recalling 530,000 2001, 2002, and a few early 2003 Volkswagen (Golf, GTI, Jetta, Passat and New Beetle) and Audi (A4, TT) cars equipped with four-cylinder, turbocharged engines to replace a faulty ignition coil.

The cost estimates seem to range between $80 and $90 million. This couldn't come at a worse time for the VW Group and their U.S. dealers.

U.S. VW dealers are already struggling with poor quality issues across the entire VW lineup. It is not uncommon for us to receive emails from irate VW owners who are fed up with the problems they're having, not only with their cars, but also with their local VW dealers' over-taxed service departments. And the owners we usually hear from are in their 20s or early 30s - exactly the target market that VW doesn't want to piss-off. VW has done a good job of setting the tone with their advertising as a hot, young, hipper-than-thou car company, but when the products don't live up to the hype, then the whole thing begins to unravel.

These young buyers who are getting a dose of poor quality and spotty reliability with their VW products tend not to come back either, because there are too many choices out there with much better quality than what VW has been delivering of late.

Automotive News reported that VW's U.S. dealer council is strongly urging that Volkswagen of America give each VW owner affected by the recall $1,000 coupons good toward the purchase or lease of their next VW. Privately (and not so privately), VW dealers are expressing serious concerns about being able to handle the $50,000 Touareg SUV and the $70,000+ Phaeton super-luxury sedan that are due in a matter of months. And with service departments overrun with broken VWs and customers who swear "never again" to ever owning a VW product - this does not bode well for the new Dr. Piech-driven strategy of taking the VW brand upmarket in the U.S.

As brilliant as Dr. Piech is and as accomplished as he's been over the years (having been responsible for developing some of the most famous Porsche racing cars), it's ironic that his legacy might not be one of the fabulous new luxury/performance cars from Audi, Bentley, Bugatti and VW, or his racing car successes, but the fact that he squandered Audi's market resurgence in the U.S. with his upmarket VW push, that he allowed VW quality to sink to atrocious levels with disastrous repercussions, and that in the end - how he helped run VW into the ground.

[​IMG]

-----

Sorry VW.

Great piece today on VW... As one of the thousands of disaffected 20-somethings, I can tell you it's truly a dark day. When I bought my Passat I had to end off my scoffing friends ("why didn't you get the BMW/Lexus/Infiniti" and "you paid *what* for a VW?) with sharp responses about the chassis, engine, luxury, and yes, quality. Today, faced with the same lingering questions all I can do is look down and say "I know... trust me, never again." Oh, and that goes for Audi, too. Sorry VW.

Larry M.
    USA

2. jaydub

jaydub Every calling is great when greatly pursued.

:werd: x 13087903471902384712908347192347190237102987419023847192

3. TriShield

So much for VW quality and reliability!

No wonder their brands can't compete with BMW and MB.

4. Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr 6 Time NBA Champion OT Supporter

REPOST!

And :werd:

5. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Today's WSJ had an article on the Phaeton - VW expected annual sales of about 20,000 cars but so far, less than 4,000 have been registered (including hundreds of dealer demos and rental cars).

:slap: to VW and :Owned: by stupidity

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

BULLSHIT ASSHOLE!

OF COURSE I'LL BUY A HIGH-END LUXURY CAR FROM THE SAME COMPANY THAT BROUGHT US THE DIESEL RABBIT.

7. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

8. Mugatu

:werd: because they never have problems with their cars :rolleyes:

9. jaydub

That's very true. Their dealerships and service departments also leave a LOT to be desired, and they always like to pass the buck to each individual dealership to "police" themselves. As many problems as I had with the dealership, the most I could do is call VWoA and try to get them to persuade the dealership to treat me better.

BMW and MB owners won't stand for the poor treatment, nor will Lexus or even Infinity owners. Go to any one of their service departments, and you're pretty much guaranteed a loaner vehicle at the very least, and generally a pretty good service experience (especially with Lexus, in my experience).

VW has a long way to go, and I think they need to remember a few years back when they almost pulled out of the US market due to poor sales.

10. iZero

iZero Guest

Unpossible! They use nice plastic on their interiors, they must be reliable!

11. TriShield

Yes, the dealership experience can ruin your ownership experience, even if the car is pretty good.

When you pay big money for a car (many VW products are fairly cheap, but most Audis aren't), the dealership should be bending over backwards to make you reasonably satisfied with the product.

12. jaydub

Hehe, my nice plastic was really good with the rubberized coating.

until it started chipping off

13. Mugatu

you've obviously never been to Chapman BMW in Scottsdale :fawk:

but in general I agree 100% - VW and Audi dealers suck so much ass that it's not even funny. And VW/Audi don't seem to realize that their roles end as soon as a consumer buys a car - after that, satisfaction is 100% up to the dealers.

14. iZero

iZero Guest

I know more than a few people who have had terrible experiences with multiple Volkswagen dealers while simply inquiring about the a car. They will not buy a VW product, or even consider one anymore. Dealers absolutely make a diference.

15. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

looks like I'm buying a domestic... GrandPrix here I come.

16. jaydub

I've heard horror stories about Desert here in Vegas too, so I may have jumped the gun a bit, mostly what I was trying to say is exactly what you are saying in your post-:fawk: statement: that VW/Audi dealers are the devil, bobby!

17. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

ppl that own Seat cars in europe are going thru the same shit... :ugh:

(Seat is owned by VWAS)

18. jaydub

So is Skôda. And let's not forget, the Audi TT is affected by this recall as well... oh yeah, and the Passat W8.

19. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

:ugh:

20. vdubbish

vdubbish Guest

first the window regs, now this... :(

21. jaydub

Yes, but VW never really issued a recall on those. They just extended the warranty for a while. People who paid for their coilpacks to be replaced will be reimbursed, while people who paid multiple times for window regulators are shafted.

Same can be said for those who had to replace numerous Mass Airflow Sensors.

22. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

~HOLLA~

welcome to the dark side baby :big grin:

you won't be disappointed with the new GP, or with the current model :)

23. The Dude

The Dude Guest

It's just a mother fucking coilpack. :(

24. MB300E87

MB300E87 Active Member

eh i still love VW and all.. but MB is my first love. i'm going back to MB no matter what. my next car will probably be a used CLK in a few years.

25. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

Eh, my main reason for getting the GLI was that I needed an inexpensive, 4 year warrantied vehicle as a daily driver. I couldn't afford the 3 series without getting raped on monthly payments, so I went with the GLI.

I better not have to deal with this shit :squint:

And I'm pretty happy with the car so far, there's a weird sound that happens when you roll down the rear windows and leave the fronts up, though :confused: