COMIC Vs System Card game

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by mooredodge, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Anyone play this? I was thinking about getting a starter set or something and trying it out. :dunno:

2. owenstar

owenstar New Member

I am a huge vs player....dont let me overwhelm you, but here are some links to great vs websites

http://vs.tcgplayer.com/
    www.vsrealms.com

If you like comics and games there is no reason not to play it....it also can be played online for free (requires some time to DL all the junk)

It has a good following and great prize support for its competitive players...good luck, if you have questions let me know

3. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

God, I was heavy into this too before I moved. Me and a bunch of friends started just after the Marvel Knights set came out. I mostly had a lot of DC Origins, Marvel Knights, Web of Spider-Man, and Infinite Crisis. I would have gotten into the upcoming Heralds of Galactus, but I have no money (it gets kind of expensive) and no one to play with. However, there's a program called OCTGN for playing peer to peer with any cards you feel like.

The game plays pretty similar to Magic and is easy to learn, if you have that background. But other than that, all the rules and powers do most of the characters some justice.

edit: If you don't want to get discouraged early, stay away from people who play with Titans. I have a wicked X-Statix deck, too.

4. mooredodge

I just picked up a starter set and two packs at wal-mart for $15. I'm looking at an ebay auction for roughly 6500 cards right now too. :noes:

Hopefully I'll like it :rofl:

5. Bobbot

:rofl:

You should like it. I haven't met anyone that's tried and not liked it. Walmart is a good source for the cards, btw. They run roughly $3 to $5 a pack at a comic shop, but Wal-Mart gets them in massive quantities, and sometimes has a 2-for price of one deal, at the low price.

A method that I used for buying cards when new sets came out was to pre-order 2 boxes, and then supplement what I needed with online purchases, since a rare is approximately as valuable as 1 pack, and to get the one you want, it's more effective to purchase that one.

edit: Me and a friend went 1/2's one two boxes and split the affiliations in half. Therefore we get the quality pulls of 2 boxes, but the price of 1. We always agreed beforehand which sets we wanted so as not to argue when we opened the box, and we'd keep all the non-team-stamped cards from one box per person.

6. mooredodge

From what I gathered, it's similar to Magic, right? I played that a little back in high school with a friends deck, but never had the money to get my own.

7. Bobbot

Excact same backstory as me...weird. Anyway, I was out of the Magic scene for about 6 years at least when I started vs., but the basic principles I learned before just boost you up the learning curve. Make sure you read the rules. I actually went and printed off the comprehensive rules at UDE and read through all of them.

8. mooredodge

I feel this will consume much money. I may be in trouble. :rofl:

Oh, and thanks for the links owenstar, I'll check em out later. :bigthumb:

9. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I have never been into these types of card games, never could hold myinterest.

Nerds.

10. mooredodge

You're just jealous. :squint:

11. Bobbot

Say what?

12. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

i stand by what i said.

13. mooredodge

I'll stand behind what you said. :naughty:

14. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

15. Bobbot

16. mooredodge

the starter kit wasn't even vs lol

It was a Marvel ReCharge kit, didn't even pay attention. :o

17. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

CCG's always seem to always be gigantic money traps. I was heavy into magic in high school, but I couldn't keep up. I invested hundreds of dollars, bought books on strategic deck design, kept up on all the cards, traded/bought individual rares, and even read websites on strategy.

Couldn't even hang with the local guys at the comic book store. Granted, I was just a kid and without a doubt dumb as a rock, but you get the idea.

18. Bobbot

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that's a horrible set! There aren't much out there for starter sets at an affordable price when you consider the set they coincide with. The Origins sets are nice, but I'd stay away if I was you because the Origins cards are hard to come by and they are also expensive. HOWEVER, some of the affiliations in that set are still the best, like Teen Titans and...okay, just them. Web of Spider-Man altogether sucked, so stay away from that. Superman: Man of Steel was a decent set, but it was somewhat obsolete with the lack of versatility with their special "Cosmic" keyword, however that will become revitalized with the new Heralds of Galactus set coming out very soon, so if you like DC, I'd recommend that started set. The MOS set's cards aren't too expensive either as older sets go.

They stopped making starter decks for a little while after those though. When Batman came to theaters, they made a new Batman starter and then FF starter when it hit theaters as well. They featured less cards than a normal starter, hence the lower price, but they had different cards too. However, since they built off the affiliations from old sets, I'd stray from it.

Here are the sets that were released for Vs. System, in chronological order:

Marvel Origins > DC Origins > Web of Spider-Man > Superman: Man of Steel > Marvel Knights > Green Lantern > Avengers > JLA > X-Men > Infinite Crisis > Heralds of Galactus

Of the recent sets, Infinite Crisis featured 5 affiliations: JSA, Checkmate, Shadowpact, Villains United, and Secret 6.
    X-Men featured 4: X-Men, Brotherhood, Hellfire Club, Morlocks
    JLA featured 4: JLA, JLI, Secret Society, Injustice Gang (Secret Society is my favorite for Gorilla Grodd alone)
    Avengers featured 4: Avengers, Thunderbolts, Masters of Evil, and Kang.

Those are the 2 most recent for each Marvel and DC, and are therefore easily attainable. IF you get Marvel Origins, the X-Men set built on the X-Men and Brotherhood affiliations from the Origins set, so it'll be more comprehensive. You can mix and match whatever the hell you feel like, unless you're playing in tournaments with rules stating otherwise.

But all-in -all, I'd say get yourself some Green Lantern or Superman cards and then hoard some Heralds of Galactus!

note: GL has: Green Lantern, Emerald Enemies, Anti-Matter, and Manhunter affiliations
    MOS has: Superman, Revenge Squad (lex luthor types), Darkseid Elite, New Gods.
    Heralds of Galactus will have: Heralds of Galactus, Inhumans, Kree, Infinity Watch

19. mooredodge

20. Bobbot

Wow, that a lot of commons/uncommons! That's about 2.5 of each common/uncommon, average. The pic looks like it's from every set, and being from a comic shop, it seems right. But at least you'll have a nice pool to pick great commons from!

Now you need to get teh awesome rares :eek3:

edit: $71 is well worth it.

21. mooredodge

:werd: That's what I was thinking exactly.

22. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

er so how do you play for free online?

23. Bobbot

It requires an online networking program called "Hamachi." I think VSrealms.com has information on the actually gaming program called OCTGN. There's extensive directions on how to get it to work, but I never figured it out.

24. owenstar

owenstar New Member

Bobbot...you seem to know your stuff...ever play in pro tournaments up there in Idaho?

Octgn sucks...MWS is where its at...

Seriously I love this game...its expensive at first...but if you focus on specific teams you can buy/trade for what you need...

Every comic fan should give it a whirl

25. Bobbot

I just moved here and I have no idea what's going on. My LCS is tiny, and it's the only one to support 60,000 people. I came from Alaska a month ago, but there were never any tournaments around. I played with a bunch of guys from my LCS there which was probably the biggest group in all of Anchorage, maybe 12 of us total. They did a tournament once...but they planned it for when I was in Vegas, those asses! They just didn't want to bruise their asses I guess.

But around here, my LCS doesn't even sell the cards I believe; I haven't checked though. But I left all my cards with my best friend up in Alaska who I've been trying to tutor at getting better at the game. We agreed that with my pool of cards, he'd have enough rares to make any deck he could dream of. Also, I didn't really want to bring them because I need no distractions from getting through rx school. Selling was a no-no because I thought they'd be better used with my friend.