vs. Intel

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nucklearknight, Nov 14, 2008.

1. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

My friend is unable to play a movie and browse FireFox at the same time without the movie lagging horribly so I checked out his computer and found out that he has a AMD 2.0 ghz processor. I cringed when I saw it because I was under the impression that AMD was inferior to Intel but my friend said that AMD's were always overclocked or spit out some bs like that and said that it could compare to about a 2.5 ghz Intel model.

I think he's wrong.
    Anybody?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

How much CPU was FF using?

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Is it an older CPU? The AMD vs Intel clockspeed comparison was probably true a couple generations ago, but not so since the Intel Core2 was introduced.

4. nucklearknight

I'm not quite sure but I remember just watching a movie in windows media player was using about 65-70% of his CPU and it was maxed when he was opening FireFox.

5. nucklearknight

And no it's not an older. He got the laptop in September of this year.

6. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

That doesn't mean anything. I saw an old single core AMD laptop in stores just last weekend, suprised the fuck out of me.

7. nucklearknight

Well his computer always seemed a little slow to me, even though it has 4 gigs of ram.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

while AMD is behind Intel right now, it isn't so far behind on comparable processors that you'd notice that huge of a difference with such simple tasks. he probably just bought a shitty laptop.

9. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

If it came with 4 GB, it would be hard to say he bo... well if he has these problems, yea it probably is shitty.:mamoru:

10. ge0

ge0 New Member

just reformat

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, he prolly has a laptop from someone like HP who fills your system with garbage software that makes it run like shit.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Basically, AMD runs benchmarks on their CPUs and rates them according to the MHz of whatever Intel chip gets a comparable score. That's why my Athlon XP "3000" can get away with being 2.16GHz, because it gets similar benchmark scores as a 3GHz Pentium 4.

They do that partly as a marketing gimmick, and partly to show off how their CPUs are more efficient. Or at least they used to. I think they've moved on to another gimmick now.

Anyway, I can run Firefox, a video, a strategy game, and a virtual machine all at once without my Athlon XP shitting the bed, so whatever's wrong with your friend's computer, it's his fault.

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You know what kills me? Dell laptops (even the business ones!) ship with software that is clearly labeled "URL Helper" and "Address Redirector". And some people would never think to remove it. Scary shit. :noes:

14. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Actually.. it does the same thing as your ISP does, except it directs you to dell.com instead of charter.com, or comcast.com.

They cash in on non-existant URLs.

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

in the past, the issue was that Intel was pushing the megahertz war even though AMD processors were able to accomplish more at comparable speeds. so, the only way to compete with Intel on the MHz side was to label their processors with the comparable Intel MHz number. otherwise, many a computer user would have thought that a 3ghz Intel CPU was inherently faster than a 2.16Ghz AMD.

16. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

That is literally what he said :rolleyes:

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hehe, yeah, i don't know what i was trying to add. i guess my point was that it wasn't really a gimmick. it was just trying to find a common ground to compete against Intel, who even find themselves burned by the MHz/GHz race now that they are focusing on multi-core processors.