Vritual PC performance

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Jul 1, 2004.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

My friend has a Powerbook G4 (~900Mhz) with I believe 640MB of RAM. Virtual PC seems really slow on it. Slow enough that it would seriously frustrate me if I had to use it on a daily basis. I use VPC2004 on a P4-2.2 with 1.5GB of RAM to run a "lan in a box" for testing/learning purposes and it seems a lot faster. Is VPC slower on a Mac because its a PowerPC chip emulating Intel while on a PC its Intel emulating Intel? Or is it because he's running it on a laptop (generally slower than desktops)? I checked and he already had VPC extensions installed. That's the first thing I checked because it made a huge performance difference when I installed them on my virtual PCs.

2. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Its because of the PPC -> x86 translation. VPC won't really get any faster than that. New versions might provide performance increases, but don't hold your breath.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I wonder if running it on a G5 will help much when they release a version for it.

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Of course.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Well I'm sure it will help some, but I'm wondering how much and if it would still drive me crazy. I have a few Windows apps I need that simply don't exist for the Mac.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

There was a Windows emulator that was "coming soon" for a while that claimed to run Windows faster than current PC's at the time ran windows. The name escapes me.

This one might be worth a try (accelerated for G5)...

http://openosx.com/wintel/

7. giovannii

giovannii Death

VPC stinks I have a dual 1.4 G4 w/ 1gb ram and it seems soooo slow and non responsive. I hope they really do something to make it usable with the G5. :x: