vpn or proxy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Feb 14, 2010.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I setup a VPN to re-route traffic to one of my servers so they can obtain another IP for the roommates so we can play games online together but once in a great while we get detected "same ip" like playing pogo, poker, some none web based gamed etc. Aside from getting another modem in the house or static Ips which cost a lot more what other alternative is there? Would a proxy work? (squid) Static Ips here require us to upgrade to business class high speed which costs a lot. VPN setup was free :wiggle:

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

have the computer that is hosting the vpn assign a different range of ip addresses
    or allow the connecting computer to assign its own ip address, then on the connecting computer, you can specify which ip address you want

3. 7960

7960 New Member

proxy would be stupid simple. there's even an add-on for firefox so you just click a button to use the proxy.

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I will admit a proxy setup is a lot easier. The VPN I can assign a static IP for each client but requires me to create a new cert for each user that requires a unique IP. But that basically answers my question on which to use.

Thanks